Thread: Just a little note to Bushrat

Default Just a little note to Bushrat

Since I had my surgary, I've had a lot of time to sit on the porch and ponder things. Not 1 moose has come into my yard in 5 weeks, I have made 3 trips to Fairbanks, and seen 5 differant bulls and 2 cows ( one with calfs) Talked to some friends that live on the lake ( Clearwater Lake) no moose Hope you get the hint, and this cow hunt is stopped. I say this because this area is more than able to feed all the moose here and more. I don't know what else to say. Last ditch effort. E.S.

Default Rock Skipper...

E.S.,

Hi. Not sure what I can do...or why you are singling me out. As you know, moose movements vary, so we can't base anything on just what you see driving to Fbks or what you or anyone elses see off the porch etc. Best thing you could do would be to try to get on your local advisory committee or work through them (I think you're in Delta) if you haven't already. If the density estimates continue to show so many moose unit wide, then imo the cow hunts aren't a bad thing as far as moose conservation goes.

As I've explained in the past, these cow hunts are directly related to our Intensive Management law that drives all this.

Glad you are recovering from the surgery okay. Back issues are certainly not good for humping moose meat...that's how I messed mine up originally.
    Best,

Default Moose in delta

Yes you are correct, I am in Delta. The reson I called on you is that you always seem to explain the rights and wrong ( in your opion) of wildlife management in the state. What started out on the other thread ( moose in 20D turned to the reason unit 16 dos'nt have that many moose) I thought you might be with the F&G advisory board, if not then my mistake. If you are just taking numbers that the state gives out, and commenting on them, well,,,,,,? Where are you from anyway? I know that most of the people on here are from the southern part of the state. They all talk about coming up north to get there moose and caribou. There were people talking on the last thread saying that just driving through delta they could see the taking of the cows. One things for sure there arn't no moose here now, compared to what we worked 30 years to get back. And no Grizz's or Blacks in town either. 600 more cows this year is going to be devestating. This is a controlled area for a reason. This probably won't have an effect one way or the other but I had to get it off my chest. I know in the future its going to be tough to fill the frezzer if theres not enough cows to reproduce. Thanks for the kind words on my surgary, and have a good weekend. E.S.

P.S. If there is a F&G spokesman on here and is willing to step up to the plate and explain this topic, were all ears.

E.S.,

I live north of you, out in the bush north of Eagle. I'm co-chair of Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers; that's why you see me commenting on wildlife mgmt issues. I wrote an op-ed on the antlerless hunts that explains some of what's going on:
    http://alaskabackcountryhunters.org/...0Editorial.pdf

I spend quite a bit of time talking with biologists and reviewing monographs and research reports. Yes, I'm taking the numbers ADFG has come up with inre moose densities as good reliable data, and have been talking with bios about the Tanana Flats herd for a couple years now. The bios are well aware of the mistakes that were made with cow hunts in your area about thirty years ago, and they don't want to repeat those mistakes. They are also very aware that long-time residents remember those events and are thus pretty adamant when it comes to opposing antlerless hunts of this magnitude.

There will always be hunters who determine moose densities and abundance based on purely speculative anecdotal information, like how many moose they see when hunting a certain patch of ground, floating a river, driving a road etc. This has happened time and time again here and in the states when various Fish and Game departments have authorized and advocated for doe/cow hunts...many hunters don't believe the data. It's good to question data, don't get me wrong, and it's good to look into it and talk to those who are doing the aerial surveys etc. This is one of the most studied moose herds in North America, and the population data is sound.

You won't find a F&G spokesperson on this forum, but you can certainly call or write your Area Biologists and if you are respectful you can get answers to all your questions. Much of this info is available on the F&G website too. There have also been public presentations on all this to try to better inform the public and hunters what is going on and why. One of the better research reports on this is this one:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/...bs/boertje.pdf

I got to sit down with Rod Boertje, one of the authors of that paper, and it was very worthwhile to get a better handle on things. If you ever have a chance when you are in Fbks, stop by the College Rd F&G office and talk to Rod or Don Young; it never hurts to be more informed. And again, if you feel strongly about all this and want to have an impact, you might consider trying to get on your Delta AC, or at the very least, attend the meetings and speak to those who are representing your area.

You have a good weekend too,

Default Mark;

I'm ending this thread, and starting a new one. One thing I will say is that when you post a site, that you get the game unit right. 20D not 20A. I have to go to Fairbanks for the next few days to see the doc's, and if I get a chance, I will go see Rod if he is around. I guess I'll see you on the next thread.
    P.S. Not a bad weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I'm ending this thread, and starting a new one. One thing I will say is that when you post a site, that you get the game unit right. 20D not 20A. I have to go to Fairbanks for the next few days to see the doc's, and if I get a chance, I will go see Rod if he is around. I guess I'll see you on the next thread.
    P.S. Not a bad weekend.
    He got the unit right in his op-ed and the F&G link You are refering to the SUBunit, and the article is covering the unit 20 cow hunts in general and was referenced 20A because it is such a hotbed for controversy... I may be up there here shortly if my any of the 6 799 or 798 permits come through for my family. Just another "southern" AK boy dealing with the NIMBY's who don't like the ADF&G and their silly scientific studies

I'm pretty sure he's (Rock Skipper) speaking specifically about unit 20D which is near Delta Junction and is offering 590 cow tags for this coming fall.