Thread: Question for the Tikka Folks

Default Question for the Tikka Folks

Dear Tikkites, or Tikkians

Depending on the sales of a couple other items, I have been thinking about picking up a Tikka since all you Tikka folks brag about their accuracy. Or at least play with one for awhile....

Looking at 308, 30-06 , or maybe even a 338 Federal.
    Too bad they don't make a 358 Win.

Anyway, for you guys and gals who actually have and shoot them

How are the rifling rates in the aforementioned calibers?
    Do they like heavy bullets or lighter slugs?

Any photos or reports of actual group sizes....???

What are the down sides?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I just bought the .270 wsm in a stainless model topped with a 3-9X Ziess and loaded 130 grain TTSX's as well as 140 Accubonds and 150 TSX's. Gun is partial to the 130 and shoots them very fast - Chronographed at 3275 average. Accuracy was the following for all three bullets at 100 & 200 WITH 5 shot groups
    130 TTSX - .46 &.98
    140 Accubond - .98 &1.01
    150 TSX - .85 & 1.25

For what I wanted, the Tikka was all that and a bag of chips!!!

f

I thought I would get a snow storm of Tikka owners showing me or telling me about their groups. This is more like a cool desert wind with a few tumbleweeds. Well maybe after the holiday weekend.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Here is what the 130 grain TTSX's did for me today. Average velocity was 3280 FPS. Group is at 100 yards - 3 shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Here is what the 130 grain TTSX's did for me today. Average velocity was 3280 FPS. Group is at 100 yards - 3 shots.
    Geeze, you sure need to dial that rifle in a little more. Or maybe it's the shooter that needs more practice? Those are some fantastic shots. I think I am going to go shoot my 30-06 tomorrow, and will report back.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I need to get my vice out and fine tune mine, I sure hope I find it as accurate as yours!! I am planning on dialing mine in at 2.5" high at 100. That should set it at ~305 yds MPBR! I have a bunch of stuff around the house to do tomorrow so no range time for me but I am looking forward to hearing how yours shoots jmg.

Cannot help with your calibers but my .270 win shot 130s and 150s in to .75 inch. Nice trigger and the single stack mag feeds very slickly. Just don't loose the thing. From the price, it must have a diamond encrusted gold spring!

Cheers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    You gotta like that group, hope I can get that with my Sako. Have you considered E-Tips? They come in a 130 gr too, their BC is .459 compared to the TTSX .392

my next load will be 140 accubonds...Might look at the E- Tip if I can find them. Running out of time for serious load development. At nearly 3300 FPS, there isn't a elk in Idaho that my wife wont flatten..assuming she does her part. The other bullets I would eventually like to try are 130 partitions, & e tips, 140 accubonds, 140 a frames.

I posted this review in my Tikka thread a little bit ago. I'll take some pics of my targets soon and post them, although the review should give you a good idea as to how it did.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I didn't know if I should start a new thread for this or just post back in this one, so here goes.

Mounted an old Pentax Gameseeker 3-9X40 on my Tikka 30-06 earlier this week and have been dying to get it out to the range. Finally did today. I took one box each of 150 and 180 Core Lokts with me. I figured I would not be able to get through all of these since I went against LuJohn's advice and did NOT swap out the hockey puck pad with a Limbsaver. I've mostly shot my old Marlin 30-30, and I guess I was sort of curious as to how much this thing would really kick/hurt without the fancy schmancy pad on it.

I headed out to Rabbit Creek this afternoon and started with the 150 grain at 100 yards. First three shots did not hit paper. I should have known better. So I moved it up to the 25 yard mark to put it on the paper. I was hitting about 4 inches to the right, although all three shots were pretty much right on top of each other. Once I got it put into the center (9 shots), I moved it out to 50 yards. I was hitting about 1 1/2 inches high from there, and took another 6 shots there. Did I mention I didn't have a Limbsaver? At 50 yards, I still had 3 shots touching each other pretty tight. So far so good.

Then I moved it out to 100 yards. I shot my last 5 rounds of 150 from there to get it dialed at about 2 1/2 inches high. I then switched over to the 180 grains and got those in pretty decent too. By closing time, I had put 30 rounds through the rifle.

So how is the rifle? In a word - unbelievable. With the scope on it, it weighs far less than my 30-30. The bolt is unbelievably smooth, as mentioned by LuJohn. It really does almost feel like you did not chamber a round, it really is that smooth. It kicks more than my 30-30 for sure (bigger caliber, far lighter = more kick). But, I shot 30 rounds with the stock pad on it, no Limbsaver, and I could have easily put another 30 rounds through it. It was honestly that nice to shoot. I think it caught me a little off guard at the beginning just because I wasn't used to it, but I worked through it very quickly and was able to put round after round through it without thinking "ouch." And no sore shoulder tonight either, although maybe I'll feel it more in the morning.

As for groups, as I mentioned, I stacked 3 shot groups touching each other - one each at 25 and 50 yards. I do not consider myself a marksman by any means, although with this gun I will be shooting a lot more often. But the 2 groups that impressed me the most were: (1) I shot a group of 3 from the standing position (no rest) to just under 1 3/4", and (2) my last three rounds (28, 29, 30) came in at .9" (from a rest). The first two shots touched, the third was out a little bit. To shoot under 1" after 30 rounds through the rifle - barrel hot, shoulder having been hit 27 times - I thought that was impressive.

The last three rounds grouped about 1" - 1 1/2" to the left of center. I do not know if it was because the barrel was getting too hot and decided to pull that way, or if it was just me getting fatigued. I figure this will be a decent place to start next time and dial it down some more.

Overall I am really pleased with the rifle. I would like to adjust the trigger to be a little bit lighter, as there were a few times I felt like I was pulling and was surprised it had not gone off yet, and then had to refocus/breathe. I may put a Limbsaver on it also. If I were only going to use it to hunt with, I'd probably pass on the Limbsaver as shooting under 10-15 rounds with the stock pad was an absolute breeze (even the 30 rounds was pretty easy), but this thing was such a blast to shoot, I'll probably put one on to make it that much more fun. Also, it is pretty light, and this aspect of it I think makes it a little tough to shoot from a standing position. I was impressed with how well I shot it standing, although I don't think I'd take any shot over 100 yards from standing unless I had a lot more practice. Keeping it still is just too difficult because of its light weight. Anything beyond that without quite a bit more practice, I'd probably want a rest of some sort.

It cracked me up because there was a guy next to me shooting a 338. It was all set up in his Lead Sled. He never even took a single shot with it just in his own hands. He mentioned he can really only handle about 6-7 shots if he shoots it offhand. And here I was shooting my 06 over and over again, just having an absolute blast. I had a little stand holding the front of the rifle on all my shots (except standing), but that was it. No sandbags, no rear rest. I am confident I made the right choice for a rifle that I believe I can become very proficient with. With a Limbsaver on it, I wouldn't think twice putting 50-60 rounds through it in a day of practicing. It is just that much fun to shoot.

Overall - great rifle and a blast to shoot. Highly recommended.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default not the .338

I wouldn't get a tikka in that caliber. They are light rifles and I have "heard" that the .338 kicks the crap out of you. I have the .300wsm tikka t3 for about 5 years now and can't say enough good about it. It has been to Africa with me and killed plenty of Alaska animals. My kids now use it on moose, bear and caribou. For your money, I don't think you can get any better.

I have the Tikka lite in 338 Federal. Reloading with Hornady 200 gr. SP Interlock is the preferred round it seems to like. I have tried the 225 gr. Hornady SP Interlock, and like the extra mass, but had a slight drop in accuracy. However I still carry the 225 gr. when bear hunting. Have not tried the <200 gr. bullets due to personal preference.
    Limbsaver or product with similar effeciency certainly helps with recoil due to caliber and lighter weight of the gun.
    I personally do not prefer going to the higher BC with this round due to associated reduction or increase in compaction of power with the 338 F. case, which of course is a 308 case.
    I do agree with you Float pilot about the 358, it would likely have been my choice also if it were available at the time. I do like the 338 Federal however, but I'm also partial to most of the offspring of the the parent 308 W. case. I have had this Tikka almost 2 years now, and am very satisfied, would like to have had the Sako, but for the money, IMO this is a close 2nd.

Here's a little about my .300 WSM, I know it's not your caliber, but from what I've seen on reviews all the calibers out of the box shoot very well. I like mine.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30817

Default Tikka's

I have several. They all have shot 1/4" or better with hand loads. The .308(like you mentioned) put 3- 150gr. Partitions into the same hole last Jan. I also just dug up 4-200 yard targets under 1-1/4". Really can't say anything bad about them. And all mine shoot a variety of brand and bullets well, but every one has a preference.

Oh, and I put a Limbsaver on mine. Good luck!

Al