Thread: Yamaha starter repair / replacement

Default Yamaha starter repair / replacement

The starter on the 9.9 Yamaha kicker I bought the other day is frozen up. it is kind of odd because the rest of the motor under the cowling looks like new - no signs of corrosion rust etc. it even smells new. The outside shows a very small amount of corrosion in places but basically the motor has seen little useage.

In any event I obviously need to fix or replace the starter. Is there anyone in Anchorage that does starter repairs. can I send it off, or break down and pay a small fortune for a new one?

Thanks!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If you do find a place let me know. I have been looking for a year or so, Dewey's wanted $400 for a new one. I did find a place in FL that has them for $285 shipped to AK, I just haven't bought one yet.

Default Starter repair

$400 for a small simple starter is simply absurd!

I've found them on the internet also for less but still way too expensive. I'm sure there is a shop that repairs them much cheaper!

I'm going to try Parsuns Marine- they make a Yamaha clone in China that is advertised as being 95% part interchangeable. I'll post what I find out.

If worse comes to worse I will repair it myself - I recently fixed the motor in dishwasher that had a bad bearing with a $1.25 skate board bearing. Sears wanted $150 for a new motor. took me a couple of hours but still pretty good return on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog37 View Post
    If you do find a place let me know. I have been looking for a year or so, Dewey's wanted $400 for a new one. I did find a place in FL that has them for $285 shipped to AK, I just haven't bought one yet.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Less expensive Yamaha starter

I finally found one on-line for $140 but I'm still looking.
    Try www.psepmarineparts.biz

A search by part no. is the best approach - I found the Hitachi equvalent and worked off that.

Jet ski and snow machine starters only run around $100 - I'm trying to cross-reference part nos. so I can get one of those.