Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Californian buy firearm in AK?

Default Can Californian buy firearm in AK?

Can a CA resident buy a firearm in AK. Am I limited to rifle and or shotgun? What if I just surrender my CA id to local dmv and get an AK drivers license, will the temporary license be acceptable (not in CA!)
    Need someone familiar with this kind of problem to help me with info. I will be camping for 3 weeks and would like shotgun and or revolver for bear defense. Oh by the way mine and my wifes CA id does not match our utility bill this is why CA is giving us so much grief. We bought a house 3 years ago and forgot to update our licenses so NO can buy guns!

YOU need to find out if Kommifornika prohibits its subjects from purchasing firearms in other states. If not, federal law allows for the purchase of "long guns" in other states.

It is my understanding that claiming residency in another state for the purpose of acquiring a firearm when prohibited by the state of residence is a federal crime. You want to go to federal prison for 10 years? Don't ask questions like this on the internet, do your own research.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Would borrowing an appropriate firearm be a viable alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Would borrowing an appropriate firearm be a viable alternative?
    To tell you the truth I can borrow a 45 auto , better then nothing for my needs. Truthfully I am afraid to take a borrowed gun to the airport, worried they may ask if I own and I say no borrowed. At that point gun disappears into the black hole of confiscation because some rule was broken. I can't get a straight answer from airlines about "borrowed gun" no one knows! Just like they say "declare and put it in- a -locked box", well to find out it has to be a box specifically designed to take a lock, or gets confiscated.

If I had your problem, I would buy a newspaper (Anchorage). I would look through the ads under firearms for sale. Buy from a private individual, and blow a kiss to the Gestapo. Make sure you buy a lockable gun case to get back on the airplane with them.

Have a good vacation!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al has just suggest you commit a federal crime. Maybe Big Al can do your time for you?

No-one is going to ask you if you "own" the particular firearm you have. Go to Wally's or Freddy's and pick up an MTM CaseGuard 808 or some similar plastic case. Down there you may have to go to a dedicated sporting goods store or gunshop. It has provision for a lock. Also get a cheap lock.

When going to the 'port, make sure sidearm unloaded and magazine out (not necessary but Kommifornikan 'port people might get excited thinking it was loaded), with lock available so you can show it has a lock. TSA will want the lock off, so don't put it on yet. Declare "I am traveling with a firearm". Do what the airline personnel tell you. Whichever airline you are traveling with, go to their website and look up their regs on firearms.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Where are you going to be camping? Incidences of actual bear problems in the more popular camping areas along the highway system are so low that you are probably in more danger at home from two legged predators in CA. Without practice with a firearm they aren't much use in an emergency anyway.

Do I agree with our current gun laws..NO WAY.. Do I really think you need a gun to come camping in Alaska..nope.

Default to buy a gun

can't an out of state person buy a gun from Walle world or other shops legally ,there is some states that don't allow it but for the most part ,a large number will allow it, still the same garbage with the ATF people back ground check an all that , PLEASE respond an ley me know
    I know this is the wrong spot to ask this but it juse came up this post sorry.
    thanks

SID
    Last edited by Sid; 07-05-2008 at 15:06. Reason: change

Default long gun purchase

Most states allow a non-resident to purchase a long gun with a current out of state license, but you need to know what states allow it. Also, I don't know what Kalifornia allows. I doubt seriously that you could buy one up here, then legally bring it back into Kalifornia. It is such a totalitarian regime there now.
    I feel like being rebellious myself these days, but it isn't good to suggest a non-resident buy a gun from an Alaskan. The AK guy will be in trouble, as well as the Kalifornian, especially if it is some kind of sting to make things worse. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Big Al has just suggest you commit a federal crime. Maybe Big Al can do your time for you?

No-one is going to ask you if you "own" the particular firearm you have. Go to Wally's or Freddy's and pick up an MTM CaseGuard 808 or some similar plastic case. Down there you may have to go to a dedicated sporting goods store or gunshop. It has provision for a lock. Also get a cheap lock.

When going to the 'port, make sure sidearm unloaded and magazine out (not necessary but Kommifornikan 'port people might get excited thinking it was loaded), with lock available so you can show it has a lock. TSA will want the lock off, so don't put it on yet. Declare "I am traveling with a firearm". Do what the airline personnel tell you. Whichever airline you are traveling with, go to their website and look up their regs on firearms.

Here we go again. Give me the USC site? You make a statement about legality show me the site.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Most states allow a non-resident to purchase a long gun with a current out of state license, but you need to know what states allow it. Also, I don't know what Kalifornia allows. I doubt seriously that you could buy one up here, then legally bring it back into Kalifornia. It is such a totalitarian regime there now.
    I feel like being rebellious myself these days, but it isn't good to suggest a non-resident buy a gun from an Alaskan. The AK guy will be in trouble, as well as the Kalifornian, especially if it is some kind of sting to make things worse. You never know.

No one but a Federal licence holder has any obligation to check the background of who he sells a firearm too. ONLY dealers have such and obligation. Where have you heard of anyone being procecuted for selling a firearm (between private individuals) for not doing a background check?

Default Hey MWalker

Skip the friggin' headache of all this and buy yourself a can of UDAP Bear Spray. I have used it on a grizz (Kodiak style Grizz) and it flat out works. Do NOT feel as though you HAVE to buy a firearm to be safe in the backcountry here....

I'm with Big Al, how is it illegal to buy a gun from someone that is selling it? He didn't tell him to ask someone to buy a gun for him, that would be illegal. I have bought many guns up here from people... what is wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post

It is my understanding that claiming residency in another state for the purpose of acquiring a firearm when prohibited by the state of residence is a federal crime.
    That's my understanding as well,... that'll get ya time in the pokey!

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    That's my understanding as well,... that'll get ya time in the pokey!
    In a transaction between two private individuals, where is the claim made between the two of residency? Why would there be?

Please give this a moment of thought. People from all over the country come to the annual Palmer gun show and buy firearms. This has been going on for many years. These are face to face transactions between private individuals. Have you ever heard of anyone running afoul of the law for these private transactions?

You have a hard time violating a law that does not exist.

What about the Man that moves to Alaska, lives here for twenty or more years and never makes any claim of residency. If he buys a firearm from you (if you are a non-licensed dealer) who's breaking the law?

Show me in any so called law where private individuals have an obligation to ask anyone any questions in a transaction. If you think that you can find such a law, you are going to find some problems. It called "The Right of Contract". That folks, is a whole different kettle of fish.

Remember the famous talking point the libs love to rattle off "We must eliminate the gun show loop hole" Why can't they do it by a national law?

If they could close the loop hole, then why haven't they? Unless the States are in agreement. The law suites would be monumental in size.

It is fine with me if what you think you know about law can be shown to me in law. Making statements about the law. It's simple. Just show me or give me a cite. I have all the USCA here at the house. Let me read them for myself. I can be PM'd, just post me the cite.

In closing, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    In a transaction between two private individuals, where is the claim made between the two of residency? Why would there be?
    If this person purchased a non-rifle or shotgun from a private seller in Alaska as a resident of California, it would be a violation of federal law under the Gun Control Act of 1968. There are "certain exceptions" to this standard such as for rifles and shotguns as previously stated, but I seriously doubt that a resident of California would meet those exceptions and I am searching for the relavent legal data for confirmation from California gun laws. Handgun purchases in any manner are prohibited if one is purchasing out-of-state whether or not a background check has been, or will be conducted.

This is legislation that has been on the books for 40 years and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#summary

"With certain exceptions-primarily, the purchase of rifles and shotguns-all over-the-counter purchases of firearms by persons other than dealers must be made within the buyer's state ofresidence. A private individual is prohibited from selling a firearm to any buyer whom he has reason to believe resides in another state."

Default Bear Defense???

Is this all really about bear defense? Or do you just want to buy a gun? Very few people (statistically) are hurt by bears. You have a lot better chance of something else happening, like being hit by a drunk driver or stomped by a moose. If you're really concerned about safety you might do some research on these and a few other topics. And if you get smart about bears and bear country, that will help you a whole lot more than a gun, especially one you haven't fired much. I have spent years in griz country without gun or spray and no incidents. And consider this... when folks go bear hunting they usually take a powerful rifle, and have a guide who has an even bigger rifle as a backup... and yer gonna use what as bear defense? And of course you'll be quite proficient with this gun you buy in AK? Good luck. Ever play blackjack? Your odds are way better in Vegas.

If you just want to buy a gun, as some have suggested, you should do some research on CA laws. Maybe you can get a gun in AK, but can you get it back?

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Skip the friggin' headache of all this and buy yourself a can of UDAP Bear Spray. I have used it on a grizz (Kodiak style Grizz) and it flat out works. Do NOT feel as though you HAVE to buy a firearm to be safe in the backcountry here....
    Ditto...glad he said it and not me

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

Please give this a moment of thought. People from all over the country come to the annual Palmer gun show and buy firearms. This has been going on for many years. These are face to face transactions between private individuals. Have you ever heard of anyone running afoul of the law for these private transactions?

You have a hard time violating a law that does not exist.

What about the Man that moves to Alaska, lives here for twenty or more years and never makes any claim of residency. If he buys a firearm from you (if you are a non-licensed dealer) who's breaking the law?

Show me in any so called law where private individuals have an obligation to ask anyone any questions in a transaction. If you think that you can find such a law, you are going to find some problems. It called "The Right of Contract". That folks, is a whole different kettle of fish.

Remember the famous talking point the libs love to rattle off "We must eliminate the gun show loop hole" Why can't they do it by a national law?

If they could close the loop hole, then why haven't they? Unless the States are in agreement. The law suites would be monumental in size.

It is fine with me if what you think you know about law can be shown to me in law. Making statements about the law. It's simple. Just show me or give me a cite. I have all the USCA here at the house. Let me read them for myself. I can be PM'd, just post me the cite.

In closing, good luck!
    ??? Why is this aimed at me ????

I commented on Nitroman's post (the second post in the thread) wherein he posted concerning mwalker thought he could haphazardly (sp?) claim AK as his state of residence; I am assuming he's talking about buying from a dealer; just as you are assuming he's talking about a private sale.

Thanks for the long explanation, but it wasn't needed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Is this all really about bear defense? Or do you just want to buy a gun? Very few people (statistically) are hurt by bears. You have a lot better chance of something else happening, like being hit by a drunk driver or stomped by a moose.
    While your analysis of bear defense is mostly true, I cannot blame someone for wanting to partake in their right as an American to keep and bear arms, particularly if they reside in a location that might as well be run by Pol Pot. They are simply starved of the freedoms that you and I enjoy as residents of AK and MT.

I have been charged by moose about 5 times and zero times by bears over the years, so I would agree that deadly encounters are not that likely. However, many people carry defensive weaponry for two-legged attackers, so I don't see what the difference is if someone chooses to carry for the four-legged ones. You are not likely to be a victim of a home invasion or an armed robbery either, but that doesn't mean that people can't nor shouldn't take responsibility for their own safety and become better prepared.

I hate to hear about DLP situations with bears or any other animals, it just sucks and it's a **** shame. But when push comes to shove, if I have to go down, I would rather go down in a pile of brass than a cloud of spray or nothing at all.

Just my .02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast