Thread: Weigh Stuff

Default Weigh Stuff

Well I have recently purchased a precision scale that will weigh up to .1 oz! Since I purchased it I have been somewhat obsesed with what things weigh... My wife and I went on a "budget" buying spree today to outfit all of us with some hiking gear. I thought we found some good deals amids all the junk... I am mostly interested in putting up what stuff weighs but I will toss out costs as well.

Marino wool socks $4.97 @ Walmart

The Size large is 2.5 oz (2.1 oz for the medium)

Microfiber liner socks sz Med (97% poly) $3.00 each 1.1oz

INgenius Socks by Wigwam $13.00 (no liner needed per manufacturer)3.5oz Recommend for use with goretex boots (note they do not have gortex n them, they have merino wool/nylon/olefin outer with a built in olefin inner "liner") Also the "liner" is not a seperate piece of material but is an effect of the weave of the material which causes the olefin to be agianst the skin. It has recieved good reviews and i am interested to see how it works!

50' para cord 3.4 oz

Kelty Stuff Sack med (10"x8") claimed weight was 4 oz (actual 3.4oz)

Katadyne water purification tablets 20 pills (treats 20 litres)

spyroflex skin savers blister treatment with package

These are Athletic Works Mens athletic shirts. My wife tried and liked them on a 3 mile hike so I decided to get a couple for myself. Hers weigh 4.1oz and cost $8.97each. Mine were $10.97 but they are XXL's. These seem to be the same as much more expensive shirts which brag about their "moisture transport perforations" blah blah blah

That is enough for the moment I need to get out and start trying this stuff out Please for those of you who have a scale feel free to join in! I think it will be neat to read through a long list weights for common things we carry

Welcome to the gear weight addiction. I got into the kick about 4 years ago, and my 3-day pack weight has dropped from 45 lbs to 27 lbs. I haven't bought an accurate scale yet though. Right now I'm working on a "dream list" of gear I'd like to buy as budget permits, which will hopefully get me down to about 20 or so pounds. That's for summer weather under 10,000'. I wouldn't mind it if we could create another forum section for lightweight outdoor gear, or at least stickies that talk about the basics of reducing weight.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.