Thread: Question in general on AK hunting

Default Question in general on AK hunting

Well, Its looking pretty good that I'm moving my family to Anchorage, phones interviews went good but I'm coming up in a couple weeks for the face to face. We are pretty excited down here in CO.

My question, and its been talked about a little but wanted to bring it up again. But can a guy hunt the weekends and be sucessful big game hunting? I guess I'm talking about moose and bear, or ? in the Anchorage area.

Of course I'll try my luck in the draws, but, how many of you are "weekend warriors", I hope to do some fly out hunting as well but it might be limited to one trip a year.

Thanks again!

You can, but not in Anchorage... Hunts will be alittle harder due to pressure. As for moose allot of people will head to Wasilla (45min away) or Sutton (almost 1hr).. Bear same place or head down past portage (45 min. away)
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

week end hunts very possible but we tend to drive further than folks in America do.
    typically you will not see crowds here like i experienced in Colo. 24 years ago during rifle season.
    boat or 4 wheeler very valuable tool for hunting.
    if bowhunting there are some archery only hunts closer to anchorage and alot less pressure.
    GOOD LUCK ON THE INTERVEIW!
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Good spots close to town are closely guarded secrets! I am sure that if I gave up even our bunny hole that my I may face banishment from the family! I agree that it is doable though and many people do whirlwind weekend fishing trips to Kenai and seekend sprints up north for bou. As was said we are more willing to drive HOURS to get into good animal density.

Thanks guys, all good info, I'm not looking for spots, just general info.

For some reference, our Antelope spot here takes 4 hours, and we will weekend hunt it (but 3-4 days are better) My Elk spot is 2 hours, or 3 when you finally get to camp. So we do some driving, and bowhunting really is my preferred weapon, though I'm a bit of a rifle nut as well!

I'll be up for 20 days in August (very glad I have family already there!!) Following up on jobs and doing some fishing! Cant wait

Thanks again

Since you are used to that travel distance for weekenders, you will have no trouble getting into huntable areas out of anchorage, in that amount of time.