Thread: Any pay to play bird preserves around Anchorage?

Default Any pay to play bird preserves around Anchorage?

Hello, here in CO, bird preserves have become popular becasuse of dwingling bird populations.

Are there any in the Anchorage area? I ask because theres a good chance of my family moving up there for work, and I have a 9 month old lab I'm training and want to keep her on birds.
    Thanks

Default Falcon ridge

yes we have a place up here called falcon ridge. he has chucker and phesaent. The arctic bird dog ass. and midnight sun clubs have events that are put on to raise money for the clubs, like the chucker challenge and the phesant shoot. If you become a member out there you can go out and train pretty much anytime. Birds are: Chucker $14/bird phesant $25 a bird, kinda expensive, but there isn't much other choice up here.

Once you get settled in AK, talk to someone about ptarmigan hunting, possibly around the Hatcher Pass/Willow area or around Eureka. Ptarmigan are great for hunting with dog, they don't always fly into the next county like pheasant and grouse often do. Great fun with a dog when you find some, but might need to walk quite a bit to find them.

Thanks fellas, I've really been trying to get my pup on a bunch of birds, prices are about the same down here, although I found that quail tend to be cheaper 10 bucks, and I just found a guy who raises them for 5 bucks.

I just wanted to be able to keep working her, (I'm thinking about the important stuff I guess )

But wild birds up there are where we will transition, but there is no better training tool for a young dog than a live bird!

thanks guys! I'll be up for 20 days in august, following up on work, doing some fishing, cant wait!

call Gary at falcon ridge about 40 miles from Anchorage but good people .Alex