Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk in Delta sheep hunt

Default Walk in Delta sheep hunt

I drew the walk in delta sheep hunt this year and was wondering if anybody has experienced or heard much about the hunt. I heard a little bit about people mountain biking to the mountains, but not sure what the trail is like. Anybody have any tips on the hunt? I've been sheep hunting many times, but I am not familiar with the area. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard! Since you're new to the forums, you may want to try the search function. A few members have written reports of their walk/bike-in Delta hunts over the past couple of years, so you may get some info by searching for and reading through those old threads. Congrats on your hunt! That sure is an awesome area, and from everything I've read it holds a lot of very nice sheep. Good luck!

Default walking

head up Bear creek, up over into the gold creek area, should find rams in there

I sent you a PM.

Default walk in sheep delta

roads creek is a good spot only about 6-7 mile hike from the end of the road. Black rapids trail system back to the glacier is another good route to take. I think this trail is 7-10 hike in and easy walking

Default Bears in DCUA

Does anyone know how many bears (black or grizzly) are in the DCUA? My very lucky friend drew a tag his first time applying, so I'll be going with him. I thought maybe I could find a bear to shoot up there to make it more worthwhile for me. Any thoughts?

Default Dcua

Ive been in there many times, have seen some sign of bears but never actually say one

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Does anyone know how many bears (black or grizzly) are in the DCUA? My very lucky friend drew a tag his first time applying, so I'll be going with him. I thought maybe I could find a bear to shoot up there to make it more worthwhile for me. Any thoughts?
    I was drawn for TMA last year. Hunted the border between TMA and DCUA. Saw a sow griz and cub on the side of the mountain vacuming up berries. Also had very fresh tracks from a very big bear. Would guess it around 9 ish from paw size. Also had a black wolf walk into my camp while I was doing some late night water relief. Didnt get a shot though. Also had caribou all over the place. Good luck!

Along the Gerstle I've seen Browns and Blacks. 2 years ago there was a grizzly raiding camps while people were hunting.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Good luck on your walk in

I know lots of people that have made the hike. Most of them have been successful. Had a couple buddies take their mountain bikes up the Gerstle to July creek and hunted from there. It is 25 miles to July creek from the highway. They did see a few blackies up there and there is always the chance to see a griz around. My friends son made 2 trips from their house along the AK Highway back up on top of Panaramic peak area and they took 2 sheep out there, about 14 miles in from the highway. There are always sheep along the Richardson, not as far to get the elevation either. I spotted 5 rams last summer up Castner. My son and I drew the second hunt and are taking the wheelers back. I live right in front of the Granites and have looked at sheep almost every time I go moose hunting behind the house. I just haven't drawn a tag since 86. Any questions feel free to ask em as I have been in this area for a long time and can maybe out you in the right direction. Carl

I don't believe grizzly bear season is open during the walk-in hunt, I think it opens September 1st. As far as blacks go, I've never seen one in there but that doesn't mean they aren't there. There are several ways you can access the DCUA, one area I know of you could ride a wheeler in before the motor vehicle restriction starts and stow some of your gear then walk in later, would be about a 5 mile hike into the drainage then another 2-3 into where the sheep are. I had a friend that drew the later tag and shot a 40" ram the first day, we never even had to setup camp. It was his first time hunting too. Good luck to you.

AKHunter45,

griz season in 20D opens 10 Aug. And if you go south down the Rich into unit 13, it is open year-round. Just FYI.

Maynard,

I sent you a PM.

I sent ya one back. Good luck

AKHunter45,

griz season in 20D opens 10 Aug. And if you go south down the Rich into unit 13, it is open year-round. Just FYI.
    You are correct, was thinking of a different unit. My bad.

Hello I live in Fairbanks and am currently deployed to Iraq. I just learned that i have won a draw hunt in the delta control use area for the sheep hunt onening in late aug. I am going to be home at that time on leave. I have a buddy that will be going out on the hunt with me. i am looking for any info on this hunt i can get. with deployments and army life this might be my last time i will be able to try to get a sheep in this area. i have heard that at the time of my hunt that ATV's are able to use but have no profe yet. i have looked at the map and have seen that there is a landing strip on the back side of the mountain range. can you please give me some advice to help me have a sucessfull hunt. than you in advance for your help.

hooser,
    DCUA has a graet population of black bears, grizz and an occasional wolvering. Bears will be on berries. I have saw grizz both very high and more often very low. One black bear enjoyed several day of my food while I was out and about. If you see him, shoot. he is the black one with a white chevron on his chest.

But...those that drew sheep permits would be advised to focus on a ram prior to shooting a bear with an thin August pelt. Some of that area does require a very long approach. Plus each bear will require a day to properly flesh-out under field conditions. And most sheep hunters will not have enough salt for a bear, even though both black and browns tend to be smallish.
    The DCUA permit holder who invests a week of time and sweat should always be able whack a ram. Really.

Get yourself a ram first. Remember you can go into that area any year for any bear.

Meeshanke...No prior DCUA experiebce? Man, you are gonna have agreat summer, scouting that area all summmer. Remember to report back with a story. Specific hunt and kill locations not necessary or advised.
    dennis

Thread is 3 years old...

tyrex13,
    Only three years old. Opps.
    Sharp eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    tyrex13,
    Only three years old. Opps.
    Sharp eyes.
    Ha ha, I just didn't want you waiting in the wings for a response from the OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast