Thread: Caribou Hunt (Late-July)

Default Caribou Hunt (Late-July)

Dear Fellow Alaskan Bow Hunters:

Iím from Fairbanks and Iím planning a trip up the Dalton in search of Caribou in late July. Iím posting in hopes of gaining any valuable insights into important details a hunt like this involves. Iím wondering if anyone has made the drive during this part in the season and if they could offer some suggestions Ė any knowledge is appreciated: where the caribou might be or any other important suggestions to consider?

Also: although I used to work in Prudhoe Bay I have never driven the entire haul road. If my truck only has a 17-gallon tank does this pose any problems? Should I be weary of where I hunt or how far north I go?

Thanks for the help,

Danny

Bugs will be out in full force. The weather can be real hot for up there, so meat care will extremely important. If there are Caribou up there at this time they will be on the move allot of time due to the bugs. Where to look for them is the million dollar question. They can be anywhere but I have tend to see them more up north early in the season (july). If you looking for fire wood or wood to make a cache you won't find wood up there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Gas Planning

DJ,
    I would say 17 gallon tank, by itself, is not enough. From Fairbanks to the Yukon River, is about 140 miles. There is gas there.

From the Yukon to Coldfoot, it is a little over 100 miles. You can get gas there.

From Coldfoot to Prudhoe is about 240 miles, where you can get gas.

If I was going to do the trip in my Toyota, (20 mpg vehicle), I would carry some extra gas can for any running around once I got to caribou coutry. It is a long run from Coldfoot to Prudhoe. If you have a full size PU, then you might get 15 mph, which will be marginal for the run from Coldfoot to Prudhoe.

With regard to mosquitos, they are insane now. I work at Pump Station 3, 2 weeks on/off. When I left last Thursday, they were bad. I talked to my co-worker this afternoon, and bugs are fierce.

With regards to other planning, plan for the worst, and hope for the best. It could be 60 degrees this time of year, or in the 40's or colder, blowing and raining or snowing.

I dont go anywhere, without my 4 man tent. This gives you enough room to get out of the weather, and dry out.

Also, make sure your vehicle is in good mechanical shape. I come across people many times, with flats, no spare, or other problems. It is not impossible to get some help, but it might take time to get it.

Anyway, hope this help.

All of the tips are sure to be useful; thank you. With reguards to caribou, do you have any guesses about location? Can caribou be easily spotted along the drive?

Thank you,

Danny

Where the caribou are is the perpetual $64,000 question. They are where they are and in ten minutes they're going to be somewhere else. In late July they'll more than likely be north of Pump 2 with few if any further south. Sure they're easy to see on the drive, if they're there. Be prepared for anything weather wise. It was 77 by the Franklin Bluffs yesterday, but I've been in driving snowstorms in July up here.

Jeff

Default Caribou Location

Quote Originally Posted by djowers View Post
    All of the tips are sure to be useful; thank you. With reguards to caribou, do you have any guesses about location? Can caribou be easily spotted along the drive?

Thank you,

Danny
    Danny,
    I am going back to work at Pump Station 3 on Thursday for 2 weeks. I frequently travel to Pump Station 2 and south to the Kuparuk River road crossing about about 25 miles south of Pump Station 3. I will post caribou intel when I am at work. When I was at work in June, I only saw 2-3 groups of 3. In March thru May, carbiou sighting were frequent.

Caribou intel as of 7/11/08- I flew from Pump Station 2 to the Kuparuk River road/pipeline crossing. I saw no caribou. The helicopter pilot said he hasn't seen any, except near Prudhoe. There were some muskox, but that was it. Temerature was about 65 degrees.

Default Report

Thanks for the Report...keep it up Big Daddy