Thread: Smith 460 Xvr

Thumbs up Smith 460 Xvr

For the ones who have the Smith 460 XVR how has your load development gone ??
    I am working up some loads with two types of 300 grain, 360 and 370 grain hard cast bullets .
    The bullets that are pictured are 300 grain truncated cone type.I will be using these on an upcoming Caribou hunt .I have one good working load so far for these .
    These are my version of Hornaday SST !!!!!!

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default !!!!

Now Im Scared Mom?

Default 460v

I don't have the XVR but I just purchased a 460V. I'm going to carry it when bowhunting, in the tent, etc as bear protection. Any recommendations on ammo I should load it up with?

I have yet to reload anything yet. I did purchase the August issue of HandReloader and it has an article about he .460 S&W in it.

Wink

Artic_import

If you are going to start reloading you will have a wide choice of bullets to choose from .As you have seen there is limited loaded 460 ammo on the shelfs .
    If you reload you can work up some nice bear loads with hard cast wide flat nose bullets .
    I have some 370's WFNGC loaded and those would make a nice bear load .
    If you would like to have some tips PM me and maybe I can help out ??

Enjoy your hand cannon .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Bear Thumpers

Rick,
    I have finally been able to load up some of the 360s I got from you. I started with 38 grains of Lil'Gun. Not sure I want to go much hotter even though 40 grains is a published max. There are some sighns of pressure with these loads.
    I am using the Redding taper crimp die and wondering if it's possible to crip these things too tight and riase pressures?
    I also seat to an overall length of 2.262" This still leaves plenty of space in the big Smiths cylinder and does not compress the load as much if at all.
    Don't have a chronograph yet and did not really attempt to bench the gun. Was having to much fun vaporizing our home made "reactive" targets.
    Next time out I will put it on the bench and see what kind of groups this load will produce.
    Recoil was more than the Hornady 200 grain SST but plenty controlable.
    Any tips would certainly be apprecieated.
    The 300 grain truncated bullets look great. What's your thoughts on those for an all around cary load? That means a potential for bear.
    Thanks
    Ron

Default Maybe

While the 300 grain trunucated cone bullets look and should perform inpressivly, The meplat on the bullet might be a little small for big bear.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up

Ron

Glad to hear from ya again Ron.
    Your question "I am using the Redding taper crimp die and wondering if it's possible to crip these things too tight and riase pressures?""

It sounds about right but I have never tried that to see if pressure climbs or not due to crimping ????
    Maybe someone else has tried this and may have some information to share ????

The 300 Grain Truncated cone would not be a good canidate for the fuzzy boys !!!!
    Although I have not tried it on them as brav01 stated the meplat is very small but the base of the bullet is .454 or .453 .

I will be close to your neck of the woods come the end of April and first two weeks in May .
    Will be hunting for a big fuzzy in Sharatin Bay area , pulled a spring tag .

Just listen for that magnum handcannon going off !!!!!!
    It will more than likely be me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Drop by for coffee

If you get close enough to our place drop by for a cup of coffee - you got my phone # in your order records. If you are here at just the right time you don't even have to leave the village to kill a big bear. Since moving here two 8.5 Browns have had to be put down due to being unruly neighbors!
    Thanks for the input on the 300 grain bullets. They LOOK so cool I'm going to have to try some. It will never hurt to have a "non-bear" load worked up.
    The 460 is such a hoot. I'm having a hard time settling down to do some serious load development with it. Every time I go out with it I end up banging away and enjoying seeing the rocks and other "reactive" targets blow up.
    It's like having a .444 you can pack in a shoulder holster. Been the funnest toy I have had in a long time.
    Best of luck on your hunt, I hope you can get some pictures you can share with the forum.
    Ron

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I'm shooting some of these at the moment. Beartooth Bullets 405 grain WLNGC.

Default Ranger Rick

Those are some good looking cast bullets. I want some. Do you have a source (other than yourself) for a lightweight (200-250gr.) cast bullet with the truncated nose? I'm looking for a long range load. Seems the 460 is all about velocity.
    Regards,
    SB Smith

Default 460 S & W

Ranger Rick

I am new to the formum and new to the 460 S & W. I have learned alot from reading loading manuals and information on this and a couple of other forums. I am collecting components to start loading for this new fire breather. I have the 2 3/4" barrel model. I plan on using this gun in the field when flyfishing and exploring. I would like to make up a heavy bullet load and a lighter high speed load. I thought I might get a few suggestions on bullet shape and weights.

David