Thread: Crescent Lake - Need Tips

Default Crescent Lake - Need Tips

My group is renting mountain bikes out of cooper landing and taking the 6 mile ride to crescent lake. Does anyone have any tips on lures or tackle that catch the grayling? This is my first time targeting them and I figure some light tackle with #0 spinners or some dry flies would work.. Any suggestions?

Grayling and flies are a beautiful thing! For dries I would go with caddis flies, black gnats, and misquitoe's. I would never go without nymphs either! For them I would go with prince nymphs, zug bug's, and phesant tail nymph's. I would also bring a few emerger's, but you can just fish those dries damp...
    I haven't fished with hardware for several years but when I did, small silver vibrex and small panther martin's did the job quite well.
    Watch for bears along the trail if you are mountain biking. I have gone around a corner to fine a bear sitting right in the middle of the trail and going too fast to stop and get turned around. Lucky it spooked and ran into the woods one way, while I was doing my best to go wide and get around on the other side of the trail...
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 07-04-2008 at 12:22. Reason: spelling

Alaskan Fly Guy,

Is there any side of the lake thats better than the other? Also how the rainbow fishing there?

I have never caught a rainbow in cresent lake. I'm not even sure if there are any, but the grayling fishing is fantastic. I like going up via the Seward Hiway trailhead which is much steeper then coming up from the other side, but I always like that end of the lake better. Coming up this steeper trail you come to Carter lake a mile or less from Cresent. Carter lake has some nice rainbow fishing in it. I heard it was stocked many years ago with the "Kamaloops" strain of wild raimbows. It used to amaze me at the amount of time these fish were in the air after hooked. It's a great hike if your legs are up for it. After 6 knee surgeries, I have'nt hiked up there for quite a while.

Small dry flys and spinners worked for us. Near the Creeks held the best fish. Also look to Carter Lake for your rainbows. Is looks to be a pretty easy ride.

The only problem we had on our tirp, other then taking the 3 mile leg were the flys, pretty thick.

Quote Originally Posted by fishkill1 View Post
    My group is renting mountain bikes out of cooper landing and taking the 6 mile ride to crescent lake. Does anyone have any tips on lures or tackle that catch the grayling? This is my first time targeting them and I figure some light tackle with #0 spinners or some dry flies would work.. Any suggestions?
    I prefer the Cooper Landing end for fishing. On sunny days watch for the grayling to move out of the lake and into the first couple of hundred yards of the stream. You can see them making the move. They're moving because they know a stonefly hatch is about to happen in the stream, and once that starts they go nuts. Without a doubt they're the biggest stoneflies I've seen in Alaska. You'll need #8 and even #6 dries to imitate them well. Pattern doesn't matter all that much so long as the hackle is brown and the body is creme to pale yellow.

BTW- When this happens, it's the biggest grayling that seem to know all about the hatch. Last time we crossed paths with the hatch we landed and released 4 over 16" and one almost-black male that was about two molecules short of 18". I've never seen those really big grayling in Crescent at any other time other than the hatch.