Thread: buying chip/Disk

Default buying chip/Disk

I have the Garmin 198C. Looking for a disk to down load my waypoints.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Not sure I understand the question.

If you're wanting to download and save your waypoints, I think you can connect your unit to a PC and download them that way. See "Garmin Data Transfer" on page 72 of your owner's manual.

Correct. Maybe this will help it's a card that you can down load point then I can insert the card into another sonar and up load the points.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Don't know for certain but I think this is what you want... should be able to verify by going to the Garmin site http://www.gpsnow.com/gmdc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Don't know for certain but I think this is what you want... should be able to verify by going to the Garmin site http://www.gpsnow.com/gmdc.htm

that is what I was looking for. I just need to find a non name brand.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If what you're thinking is that you can insert a data card into your unit, download your waypoints onto the card, and then put the card in another unit and upload the waypoints, I'm not sure that will work. Although I'm not really familiar with your unit, my understanding (although I may wrong) is that the data cards are essentially a one way street. In other words, I don't think your unit is capable of saving data to the cards; only retrieving it.

My guess is that in order to do what you want to do, you'll have to do something like the following: download your waypoints to your computer, purchase a data card and data card programmer, use the programmer to put the waypoints on the card, then use the card with the other gps unit.

Of course, I might be completely wrong. But you might want to confirm that your plan will work before investing in a card.

Thanks....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Garmin card

Gray,
    I have the 498c unit. I added a Garmin card for topo maps and inland rivers and lakes (jet boat). Garmins cards for these units are propriatary. They will work only on Garmin stuff. I do not think you will find a non Garmin brand. I had to purchase a Garmin card reader (from Accu Point) for the computer. I am able to upload saved waypoints to the card and download them to Map Source on my computer. You could transfer your way points this way. My unit has Blue Chart built in, so I am unsure of transfering offshore waypoints.

I also have the 498C unit. You can transfer data to and from the unit to the media card just like akjeff says.