Thread: Alaskan Jet Ranger ???

Default Alaskan Jet Ranger ???

I have 2 choices for a motor for a 430 AJR. A Merc 25 /20 hp 4 stroke jet at 186 lbs or a Yamaha 25/17 2 stroke jet at 130 lbs. I need light weight but still need max performance. Give your thoughts please.

Default Stay portable

Quote Originally Posted by J-FRAME View Post
    I have 2 choices for a motor for a 430 AJR. A Merc 25 /20 hp 4 stroke jet at 186 lbs or a Yamaha 25/17 2 stroke jet at 130 lbs. I need light weight but still need max performance. Give your thoughts please.
    While you're able to buy a 130 pound jet outboard I'd stay light. That's the beauty of the Jet Ranger, When you're light you can go many places. Someday the 4 stroke outboard Jets will get lighter.
    I just bought a 20HP Honda 4-stroke with a prop at 108 pounds to use for dip netting with the Alaska Series 420AR Alaskan Ranger sport boat. I use a 130 pound 2005 Merc 25-20 Jet with the 430 Jet Ranger. It works great! I generally run it about 75% throttle.

Good boating
    Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

So you think the 130 lbs Yamaha 2 stroke 25/17 is the way to go?It will give me enough power ?

Buy the 4-stroke, fuel savings are worth it alone. Lose weight if the extra weight is an issue.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Weight on the water is not the only issue here.Keeping the motor portable so on man can handle it,no oil to drain etc are some of the issues. The power issue is what concerns me most i guess.