Thread: Smith & Wesson Revolver Prices ARE-

Default Smith & Wesson Revolver Prices ARE-

Skyrocketing!!

Hint to old Smith owners (especially those old 29s, 27s,53s.57s.etc,etc!

Now is the time to sell, a small affluent group has formed (danged internet) that collect most but not all of the older pre locks (that fugly safety lock directly above the cylinder release (please GOD nobody asks what a freaking....) and most models with the firing pin attached to the hammer (a few slight bonus bucks for colour case hammer & trigger)

Yeah, I watch this kind of stuff, I predict a short plat-OH (insert humor) and then a rapid decent in value for a myriad of self obvious reasons

I had a very, very nice model 57 come in today for an action job, after stripping the old gal noted the superior machining on that gun (each gun is a rule unto itself thus quot Taffin and on this point will not argue) so here I have in my hand is the potentially smoooooothest action ever.....the inside looks like it was inspection day with the owner of S&W doing the inspecting....... I must own this gun!

I've had no use for a .41maggie and owned both the Smiths and a custom Python decided on the .44 Maggie (hey, if you can handle a.41 then step on up...Elmer said so!)

Anywho, most of the old blued Smiths are worth at the very least the value of a retail priced stainless, MIM infested, safety locked, $600.00 to One Thousand Dollar gun.

We could discuss later about why the newer Smiths are far better than the old Smiths and which generation might be defined as best of ever Smiths?

Default S&W prices

I put off buying any new S&Ws until the .500 and the 329 PD came out - just didn't have a need for any of the new ones. The .500 and 329 are unique they just didn't make anything like them before.

The only S&W I have which was purcahsed new from a dealer is a 6 1/2" 629 Classic which I bought at a Houston gun show about 15 yrs. ago when I lived down there for a while after leaving AK the first time. The rest are all used guns I picked up here and there.

The rest are older guns - don't have any clue what they go for anymore. The only gun I'd realy like to own is a 5 screw M27 - I'll have to pay dearly for one I am afraid.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Older Smiths

This isn't a discussion posting, I am just going to say that I had a love affair with older Smiths for years. I got divorced in 1981 and most of them went bye bye for one reason or another. I had a nice bunch of older large hand ejector model Smiths, all of them pre "N" frame guns, of course.
    I don't care about Scandium frames, Titanium cylinders or plastic front sights, OR super light guns. There is nothing like the look and feel of any Smith made before the mid 70s. The new ones just don't have it. Oh, besides the fugly key lock thingie, they LOOK like Smiths, but to me, they're just similar to the real thing. This is just my thing. Seems to me the major motivation now is pure marketing, while the finer craftsmanship of older guns is not the major driving force.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    ............I don't care about Scandium frames, Titanium cylinders or plastic front sights, OR super light guns. There is nothing like the look and feel of any Smith made before the mid 70s. The new ones just don't have it. Oh, besides the fugly key lock thingie, they LOOK like Smiths, but to me, they're just similar to the real thing. This is just my thing. Seems to me the major motivation now is pure marketing, while the finer craftsmanship of older guns is not the major driving force.

I agree. There is always more to a gun than just the lightest, fastest, biggest, heaviest or strongest. The older S&W revolvers were indeed works of art. This is a very underappreciated concept in guns today. Looks does matter along with balance and weight appropriate to the caliber. Just as there is more to a watch than just a bunch of gears and springs and the ability to keep time, there is more to a gun than just stainless steel and plastic and the ability to launch bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Old S&Ws

I remember the last new S&W I bought. It was at Purbaugh's in So Cal I bought a 6" M-27. The finish looked good, along with the RR/WO/TH/TT with the Target grips. When I got home, I popped the side plate to do an inspection. I was amazed to see LOTS of metal chips floating around. Put the plate back on, went back to Purbaugh's, a place I did a lot of business with and returned the gun. Last new Smith I ever bought. That was the Bangor Punta days.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

S&W is making the Classics again, and they are expensive. Maybe that accounts for the increased value of the original ones.

I guess I didn't do too bad when I got my Blued Mdl 29, 6" 44 then. It wasn't like I knew what I was doin. I just liked it better than a Mdl 629 Stainless that was available at the same time.

I've no great knowledge of revolvers, but my 29 is really smooth, and a Joy to shoot DA or SA.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Old & new S&Ws

I love the older S&Ws like my 4 screw Mdl 29 - it is about as nicely made as any gun I've ever handled. The precision and workmanship are just incrediable.

On the other hand I won't take it out on the boat around salt water. the newer stainless guns like my 629 have their place too.

The 329 PD also has its place - it is a real pocket gun and nothing made before compares to it. I also appreciate it for what it is - not for the workmanship or pride of ownership but for its functionality.

Only S&W I really want now is a 5 screw Mdl 27 just to ahve one. the 29 is a lot more fun to shoot and doesn't lead as much.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You mean I can sell these and line my pockets with cash??

I would miss them too much..........

I have the fourth S serial number pre-model 29 made. It has the original paper , rayon lined presentation box. I know the oldie is worth North of 12,500 as I see offered on another forum. I did some trading for this revolver in the early 70's for it, here in Alaska, I don't shoot it anymore and was talking to my wife last night about selling it.

I tried to imagine what I would do with the money? Buy more gas to help the Arabs out? Buy more guns I won't shoot anyway (I have lots of them now). I really don't care if I sell it or not, you can't replace it, ever again. So why sell it? I guess the only good thing of getting rid of them, is so someone else can have more show and tell.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson