Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk hunt, fuel prices ?

Default Koyukuk hunt, fuel prices ?

Anyone know current fuel prices in Galena and Tanana? Heading up the Koyukuk this fall and wondering how bad it is?
    Will

We are headed there also and have to carry 300 gallons on deck. I been told gas should hit $8 a gallon by Sept up there
    Tennessee

Call Vern in Galena at the gas dock. 656-1863 used to be his number I called to have him come start the pump

You can also rent his hunk of a pick up to run around town if you want for $20.00 an hour or drop off meat at the airport to fly out.

In Ruby you can call Dineega fuel or Ivan who used to run the gas dock. His number is 468-4436 don't plan on gas always on the weekends with him without calling first or paying him 20 bucks to come down from his house if you call him at home.

Call during the week for his home number if he still gives that out.

Vern lives in Kenai now. Don't know if he is gonna be in Galena this fall.

Vern moved to Kenai huh. I last was there 2 years ago and his wife said they might hang it upas they were getting less and less traffic on the river.

Interesting. More and more people are moving out of the Yukon villages.

Yet there is still no moose according to fish and game

I would say with high gas prices there will be a lot less people making the run this year.

Default $7 a gallon

Currently in Galena we are paying seven dollars a gallon. Must have drawn a permit. With some prior arrangements Crowley Fuel has been seen delivering fuel directly to the boat. Aside from that you would have to haul your fuel via truck down to the river. Ruby does have hoses down to the river and often they are cheaper than Galena.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    We are headed there also and have to carry 300 gallons on deck. I been told gas should hit $8 a gallon by Sept up there
    Wow, that hurts.

Yea, but its an adventure. My partner will be splitting fuel costs with me so I still think we can do the entire hunt from the time we leave Eagle River for about $1,800 each.
    Tennessee

Snowwolf,

What kind of boat are you running?

I have ran it with a 24ft Seaark with a Yamaha 150 four stroke a couple times and a 21ft inboard with a 350 a few times. Either way I seemed to burrn 15 gallons an hour running hard.

It is an adventure I miss doing though. The funny part was we never seen much wildlife running the river. Only when we stopped to hunt did the wildlife appear. Lots of it too.

I found it cheaper and easier on the boat to run light and buy the fuel on the way down from the bridge. Tanana, Ruby was always cheaper as mentioned then top off in Galena.

Nulato was never very friendly so I avoided that after one trip and went to Kaltag. There the fuel is up in town but you could usually flip a 20 to a local there to haul it down with a pick up truck for you. Or take a hand truck we did that too.

I then had Charlie from Inland barge drop fuel on the river for us after that. I have heard he has sold since then but am unsure of that.

I think the whole tag down there is all politics and there is plenty of moose.

That is another debate.

Default Thanks for the replies

I figured it would be high and it sounds like it is, but what a trip it will be. I was planning on taking 400 gallons on deck. I called the Gear Shed today and they are out of those black polly fuel drums the thirty gallon square ones. Any one know where I could get some?

Thanks
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Snowwolf,

What kind of boat are you running?

I have ran it with a 24ft Seaark with a Yamaha 150 four stroke a couple times and a 21ft inboard with a 350 a few times. Either way I seemed to burrn 15 gallons an hour running hard.

It is an adventure I miss doing though. The funny part was we never seen much wildlife running the river. Only when we stopped to hunt did the wildlife appear. Lots of it too.

I found it cheaper and easier on the boat to run light and buy the fuel on the way down from the bridge. Tanana, Ruby was always cheaper as mentioned then top off in Galena.

Nulato was never very friendly so I avoided that after one trip and went to Kaltag. There the fuel is up in town but you could usually flip a 20 to a local there to haul it down with a pick up truck for you. Or take a hand truck we did that too.

I then had Charlie from Inland barge drop fuel on the river for us after that. I have heard he has sold since then but am unsure of that.

I think the whole tag down there is all politics and there is plenty of moose.

That is another debate.
    Wooldridge 23 foot Alaskan with a 200 Optimax on it. Still working on getting the boat dialed in as it is new and is still suffering from Sea Marita glitches where they repair one thing and cause another to go bad
    Am hoping to average 3-4mpg for the trip since the weight of the boat is very light for it's size.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    I figured it would be high and it sounds like it is, but what a trip it will be. I was planning on taking 400 gallons on deck. I called the Gear Shed today and they are out of those black polly fuel drums the thirty gallon square ones. Any one know where I could get some?

Thanks
    Will

Forget those expensive black poly fuel containers. I bought 10 - 30 gallon containers from the local Eagle River car wash during the winter. I think I paid $150 for all 10.
    Tennessee

And if you want the drums to go really slick you will put a T fitting on your fuel line and then in 2 barrles you have a fitting with the tube that goes in to it with a hose and when you run your main tank dry you just swith the T fitting and plug in to the 30 gallon tank. No siphoning and you can work back and forth on the tanks untill they are dry.

After you burn 2 30 gallon tanks then you just unscrew the caps from two more and stick the tubes with the fittings in those. Makes it really slick.

That was how I did it.

Mark

.....I called the Gear Shed today and they are out of those black polly fuel drums the thirty gallon square ones. Any one know where I could get some?....
    We used to get the poly 55 gallon drums from the car washes (came originally with soap) and purge them. We'd haul hundreds of gallons. We'd fuel them up in Fairbanks and load them into the boat after launching. Then we'd top them off in Galena so we'd have plenty of fuel to reach the southern slopes of the Brooks Range, have enough to run around up there for a couple of weeks, then enough to get back to Galena.

The drums we'd use up before we came back south we'd cut up with a chainsaw and burn.

How many gallons in your boat tanks and how much on deck? Could you go from fill up to fill up going in and coming back out just on the fuel in your boat tanks or did you have to open any of the extra fuel tanks and use a little? Thanks for the great info.
    Will

How many gallons in your boat tanks and how much on deck? Could you go from fill up to fill up going in and coming back out just on the fuel in your boat tanks or did you have to open any of the extra fuel tanks and use a little? Thanks for the great info.
    Will

Each boat is different, different size tanks, different fuel consumption, etc.
    Bear in mind I have never made the trip but a group of my friends have and I am finally getting a chance to go with them. I bought the Wooldridge just so we could start making this trip. My timing sort of sucks with fuel prices, but thats life!

Most of the guys I will be going with run 200-225 hp outboards with 19 pitch props and have on average tanks that hold about 50 gallons. They all told me I need to bring 300 gallons on deck. We load up the boats at the bridge and run to Galena where we will top off the tanks and head up to the Koyukuk. Usually only two boats leave camp each day so the fuel tends to last longer once base camp is set up. Plan on having enough fuel remaining to return to Galena and then refuel with enough to run to the bridge with a safe margin as the run back is upstream and hopefully with a moose or two on deck.
    Tennessee

I think you have received some great advice to check with Ruby for gas purchase. My notes from last year, 22' Bayroamer fiberglass boat, 3 guys, too much equipment, 2 built in saddle tanks 45 gallons each, 2-30 gallon drums (car wash models-actually hold about 34 gallons), 2-15 gallon drums, Yamaha 150 4stroke (finally after years of small old 2 strokes). Left the bridge with saddle tanks and one 15 full. Put 35 gallons on in Tanana. Used 52 gallons to reach Galena. Filled all tanks and drums prior to leaving Galena. Return trip I did not keep records of actual fuel purchased. We did haul one moose to the bridge and topped off the saddle tank(s) at Galena and Tanana and always carried one 15 gallon drum full as a back up. Never touched the "reserve 15" going up river.

Our theory is to carry what we need to get to a fuel stop, and fill everything going in to the Koyukuk. This way we are "light" while running the river. The very first time we went to the Koyukuk we tried to carry fuel to get us from the bridge and back. Nuts to haul that weight. Next trip I believe we will carry 4 30 gallon drums and no 15's. This will give us a little more fuel for hunting. I could easily see running from the bridge to Ruby and then fueling up everything for the Koyukuk. Last year, reports were that Ruby was about 60 cents a gallon less than Galena. Now with no fuel at the river in Galena, Ruby looks even better. This plan might add another pair of 30's.

I don't know if our theory of traveling light on the river makes $ense or not. But why push 300 or more gallons of fuel until you have to. I understand the fuel will cost more on the river but there has to be some savings in time (boat speed) and wear on your equipment (working hard to push the load). That's how we do the trip, hope this helps with your planning.

Being able to pull directly from your on deck drums is ideal, but a good siphon hose for transfer is a must also.

Jeff

Default High Prices

When you get that Koyukuk permit and finally get there, set up camp and hear the first bull thrashing brush, fuel could be $20 a gallon and I would pay. Did the Koyukuk in 2003 and last year, DM817 in 2006 and again this year. I know, I've been extremely lucky. Fuel between 2-3 guys makes it much easier. I have been taking 200 gal from the bridge and fueling at Galena. I might just carry everything I need this year right from the start. I have been running a 22' Raider hard top with 200hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I haven't kept track of usage, just made sure drums were full. This year will be a 22' Carolina Skiff with 140 Suzuki 4 stroke. Still playing with fuel usage but the boat will haul a bunch of pounds. Can't wait to go. Gas at the bridge last year was only 25-40 cents higher than in town. Can't wait to go! Did I mention that.

I ran a 17 pitch prop on a Yamaha 150 four stroke on a 24ft Seaark with a 7" lift vertical hydraulic jack plate from Bobs machine out of Florida.

Once on step I could jack it up and run the prop in about a foot of water. It was sweet.

Burned 15 gallons an hour LOADED to the hilt.

Then after I unloaded at camp I would swap lower units and put the jet on and really go places.
    Last edited by 375ultramag; 07-08-2008 at 00:54. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast