Thread: Need some assitance

Default Need some assitance

Just recently arrived to the great state of Alsaka moving from Arizona... I need some help on fishing equipement... I haven't really fished since I joined the Army 10yrs ago. I would mainly be fishing for Salmon... I know some folks here on post here fishing Ship Creek. I'm not asking for anyones honey holes but a good place start fishing, also equipment ie poles, hooks, weight, line and bait and everything else involved to.. Thanks again.

Search through some of the older threads and you'll find a lot of answers. I've seen this question answered quite a few times and asked it myself 2 years ago. I bought a medium heavy 8'6 ugly stick and an Abu Garcia 6501 reel. I use 30 # braided line and different tackle depending on the area/species/regulations. Lots of places to fish, but they will all be crowded. Good luck

Default Imho

Ugly sticks are great rods. I've never seen one fail, and they are lighter than the cheaper ones and even some of the more expensive ones. I'm biased only by their performance

If you are fishing places like ship creek, or areas with lots of people, be careful with braided line. You will most likely cross a few lines with people down there, or may have somebodys fish cross yours. That braided line will tangle with their lines like no tomorrow. Or if they have a fish on, and it runs into your braid, it will cut through their line like a knife. IMO you can't beat mono, in crowded areas.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!