Thread: Hit the Kasilof

Default Hit the Kasilof

OTF Index (off shore test fishery) was 234

EO # 7 closes july 3rd 8pm for the kasilof section; EO # 8 opens on July 5th; this should be a great weekend for dipping!

907-262-9611 is the recorded hotline for comm fish; call just in case anything changes.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Just so I'm reading this correctly (bare with me, my first season of dipnetting...): The commercial fishery closes at 8 PM on Thursday and re-opens on Saturday? I called the hotline and they mentioned the 36-hour mandatory closure starting Thursday night. I'm going down tomorrow so I guess that means I shouldn't wait around till Saturday to do some dippin'....

I am not sure I understand, but I am new to all of this as last year was my first year dipping. Thanks for the info you guys are sharing on here - it's appreciated.

The offshore test index for July 3 appears to be 66 which is down from 233 the day before. The fish counts for the Kasilof only increased from 2944 on 2 July to 3150 on 3 July. And the fish count on the Kenai actually went back down again (2791 to 2638) . Doesn't this seem to indicate that this weekend is looking quiet?

Default What's the website for the Kenai fish count?

Quote Originally Posted by Bal View Post
    I am not sure I understand, but I am new to all of this as last year was my first year dipping. Thanks for the info you guys are sharing on here - it's appreciated.

The offshore test index for July 3 appears to be 66 which is down from 233 the day before. The fish counts for the Kasilof only increased from 2944 on 2 July to 3150 on 3 July. And the fish count on the Kenai actually went back down again (2791 to 2638) . Doesn't this seem to indicate that this weekend is looking quiet?
    Can some one post the web URL for the Kenai fish counts?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Series Inflatable Boats View Post
    Can some one post the web URL for the Kenai fish counts?

Jim
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

http://cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/f...i/uciotf08.pdf

So let me see if I am starting to understand this;

The offshore fish counts for July 3 were really bad (index of 66 down from 233 on 2 July) which appears to have translated to low the numbers the following day (July 4) where fish counts on the Kasilof were down to 1,164 which is a substantial drop from 3,150 on July 3. The counts on the Kenai also reflected the poor offshore numbers from the day before where counts were 1,384 down from 2,638 on July 3.

So if the offshore test index only jumped from 66 on July 3 to 97 on July 4, can we presume that that the fish counts for today (July 5) will be up a little from the July 4 counts of 1,164 on the Kasilof and 1,384 on the Kenai, but not by much? So if I had to take a guess, I would expect that the July 5 fish counts for the Kasilof and the Kenai should probably go over 1,500 but not above 2,000.

Is my thinking on the right track yet? I guess I'll see what the fish counts are for tomorrow. But it still doesn't sound very promising in the immediate future.

Went down thursday night 3Jul. Dipped from 1900-0300 got 6 fish. The set and drift netters did stop fishing at 2000. Dipped 4Jul 0730-1000. Netters were not fishing. Got 7 fish. Average is 1.2 red per hour.

I use a 5 foot hoop with a long pole. I caught more than most. I also did some sweeping with a 4 foot hoop. No hits. The fish I caught on the first night were rather large. Kenai size 6-8 pounds. Second day was more active but smaller fish. I did help that the commercial guys were in. It rained most of early friday morning. Wind mostly from the north. Tides very high.

Oh, was on the south shore of the Kas. Went by F250 driving conditions are fair.

Default Not correct but here is some confusion for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bal View Post
    So let me see if I am starting to understand this;

The offshore fish counts for July 3 were really bad (index of 66 down from 233 on 2 July) which appears to have translated to low the numbers the following day (July 4) where fish counts on the Kasilof were down to 1,164 which is a substantial drop from 3,150 on July 3. The counts on the Kenai also reflected the poor offshore numbers from the day before where counts were 1,384 down from 2,638 on July 3.

So if the offshore test index only jumped from 66 on July 3 to 97 on July 4, can we presume that that the fish counts for today (July 5) will be up a little from the July 4 counts of 1,164 on the Kasilof and 1,384 on the Kenai, but not by much? So if I had to take a guess, I would expect that the July 5 fish counts for the Kasilof and the Kenai should probably go over 1,500 but not above 2,000.

Is my thinking on the right track yet? I guess I'll see what the fish counts are for tomorrow. But it still doesn't sound very promising in the immediate future.
    The offshore indexs do not relate to escapement numbers at all. So do not try to make that comparsion.

Second, the index counts are taken at the Anchor Point line and therefore fish may move to the river in a couple of days (at the end of the season) or not for 8-14 days (at the start of the season). Fish will hold in the inlet until conditions are correct for a push to the river.

Third, the counts do not represent fish per day entering. The program is an averaging program so one big day does not mean lots of fish came in. It may just mean the boat hit a school of fish. What one wants to look for is a series of big days.

Fourth, the program is designed to predict the total return to the inlet not a specific river system or a daily entry pattern.

I know people want to predict when to come down but so far no one in ADF&G can predict when fish will move to the beach. One just plays probabilities based on escapement rates, time of year, and the relative strength of the return. For example, those fish that the drift fleet caught on Thursday which indicated a good number of fish in the district have not moved to the river yet. That is typical for this time of year. With a strong southwest wind the pattern might have been different.

I guess my best advice is that if it is mid July, the wind is blowing southwest strong, the return looks good, and the escapement counts are increasing go fishing. If the counts are ahead of the escapement needs expect a commecial opening.

Default Nerka, A southwest wind?

Please shed a little light on the wind conditions.I'm wondering why it would matter at all, except for tides and water levels? Thanks....

For some reason when the wind blows up cook inlet from the SW approximately, the fish shoot into the rivers. SW wind usually is warmer. Maybe that has something to do with it.

When I was dipping last thursday night. The wind was out of the NE. It started hauling around and was from the west a bit. I got hopeful. Then it steadied up north. I don't know if an opposite wind keeps the fish out but there were not many fish to be had.

Default wish I could answer that one

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Please shed a little light on the wind conditions.I'm wondering why it would matter at all, except for tides and water levels? Thanks....
    I have no data to state why this is so but I can speculate if you treat it that way.

I have looked at current patterns and freshwater outflow in UCI and I have a feeling SW winds push Kenai and Kasilof river water to the beach and in more defined patterns - this is the attraction water for salmon and it may just be that this pattern triggers an easier movement to the river from the inlet. Like driving down a highway instead of trying to make it home via backcountry roads. A northeast wind does a whole different pattern. Not being an oceanographer my observations are limited and may be totally wrong so take it for what it is worth - pure speculation.

A big blow from the south will push more fish of any type into the river, and fewer from a big north blow. It's pretty common to see this in the king fishery as well. The largest one day push ever of Kasilof reds followed a big southerly blow that almost made it impossible to anchor that previous day on the river. Like Nerka, can't say why for sure ... but after thousands of days on the water ... that's simply the way it patterns out.

Please explain what this otf index means I'm not understanding it thanks

Default OTF

OTF = Off Shore Test Fishery

Nerka did a great job of explaining in previous post; it is a baramoter of sorts, to gauge when you can EXPECT fish; not predict when they are going to hit.

As also forementioned: southwest/westerly winds tend to push from the middle inlet to the rivers; how many is anyone's guess. I was sorely disappointed to see the numbers drop to the single digits the last few days... I speculate that they are just swimming around the inlet and not putting their noses into the fresh water yet for whatever reason (known only to the fish).
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32