Thread: Finger Lake

Default Finger Lake

I want to head over to Finger Lake and play around fishing for pike and such.
    Once I hit Wasilla/Palmer, how do I get to it?
    Any pointers for fishing it? I've never been there before.
    Thank you
    Tennessee

coming from ER take the Trunk rd exit off the Parks...
    first light will be at Palmer/Wasilla hwy...go straight
    you'll then come to a 4 way stop...go left
    about a mile or so on your left will be the park entrance

good luck
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks. How good is the pike fishing? Any trout?
    Tennessee

Only thing I've caught there was stockers, but I haven't fished there much...I know that there are some guys that do pretty well out there but I think you have to put in the time....as far as pike go Finger L isn't on my list of places to go...but again, I haven't fished there much....
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Only thing I've caught there was stockers, but I haven't fished there much...I know that there are some guys that do pretty well out there but I think you have to put in the time....as far as pike go Finger L isn't on my list of places to go...but again, I haven't fished there much....
    I don't believe that Finger has been hit with the pike mess (yet) but there is a healthy amount of stocked fish in there if you want to put the time into figure out how to fish it. The lake can be annoying for a fisherman when the weather is nice cause it becomes a zoo! Lot's of people come down to test run their boats and just end up doing endless laps trying to get it up to temp for trouble shooting. 11pm is quiet hours on the lake as well fyi. Overall it is good fishing early and late in the season, and a better choice than Wasilla lake if you want to boat and fish.

Would love to get into some decent pike fishing. Where would you guys recommend within 2 hours driving of Eagle River?
    Tennessee

i am assuming you have a boat, what kind?...
    pull my finger....

23 foot Wooldridge Alaskan with a prop.
    Tennessee

Default NO pike at Finger

I live at Finger Lake, so far the lake is pike free...that I know of.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    23 foot
    good...

Wooldridge Alaskan
    very good...

with a prop.
    oooooh....not so good.....lol....

I was going to suggest some close areas you could take your boat in the Su drainage..but not sure a prop would fare too well...I can't think of anyplace within a couple of hours to take your boat for pike...perhaps someone else will....
    pull my finger....

We fish at Finger Lake a lot and have never caught a pike. One old fella at the boat dock said he caught a pike a few days before, but who knows. Went fishing there last weekend and it was annoying. Jet skis, boaters, and water skiers flying past our boat at Mach 1. They were way to close and several times the wake almost came over the stern. Had to make sure the kids were sitting down so they wouldn't fall, it was that bad. Wasn't a very enjoyable day even though we caught fish. Lap after annoying lap on those jet skis.

We mainly catch rainbow and some are fairly large. Location is important though.

Been thinking about getting a row boat and finding a quiet peaceful lake to fish.

Would love to get into some decent pike fishing. Where would you guys recommend within 2 hours driving of Eagle River?

Probably the only lake that offers what you are looking for is Memory Lake. It is located off Schrock Rd outside Wasilla. Still a few lunker pike there. The local kids mainly fish the easily reached areas they can get to without a boat. There is a boat launch there and it is an OK lake to fish.

Thumbs up Tainaina lk

Two hours almost on the dot from Anchorage, call Tippicanoe ( http://www.paddlealaska.com/) to rent one that they keep at the trailhead. Hit the canoe trail system and all those lakes have pike in them.

Tainaina Lake 6140'20.72"N, 150 5'36.95"W

Drive North on the Parks Hwy about 10 minutes north of Houston you will go over the railroad tracks, pass the Polaris dealer on your left. The next major rd you see on the left is Nancy Lake Access Rd. Take it. The trail head is about 4 miles down the road and the lake will be on your left. You will see the north end from the rd as you drive towards the parking lot.

I use flys, mice patterns work great, my daughter uses spinning gear and gets slammed with spinners of all types, hula poppers and spinnerbaits..

Good Luck!!

How about pike fishing on the Deshka and Alexander Creek? Keep hearing of all the pike in these rivers and sloughs, but not sure of how to fish them. Also, can you fish here with the ban on king fishing? Might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    How about pike fishing on the Deshka and Alexander Creek? Keep hearing of all the pike in these rivers and sloughs, but not sure of how to fish them.
    this is how we do it...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9KwI9Ddue7U

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Also, can you fish here with the ban on king fishing?
    yes...
    pull my finger....