Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teir II news

Default teir II news

Looks like they learned from last year and threw out the income questions for the scoring of teir II applicants... everyone who didn't see this coming raise your hand!

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/...07-03-2008.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ref+10 View Post
    Looks like they learned from last year and threw out the income questions for the scoring of teir II applicants... everyone who didn't see this coming raise your hand!

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/...07-03-2008.pdf
    Sweet so this year we get to be poor AND hungry as usual. Dang this would have been my only chance to actualy hunt that herd since 95, oh well it's a big state

Smile

Cool. I still wont get a permit obviously as I read their wont be many issued cause herd numbers are down. But at least I wont have to swallow the fact that some newbie out of stater who just got residency now gets to hunt instead of me just cause he dont wanna work...(talk about some stereotypes). Really I am glad for a year.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Did I read that correctly?....If you get a Tier 2 you can't get drawn for Moose?........a scrawny little 'bou isn't going to pull a family through a winter...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

With each passing day, the Tier II situation gets more and more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Cool. I still wont get a permit obviously as I read their wont be many issued cause herd numbers are down.
    Where did you read that at?

Default Poorly written

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Did I read that correctly?....If you get a Tier 2 you can't get drawn for Moose?........a scrawny little 'bou isn't going to pull a family through a winter...
    I don't know for sure, but I THINK they were trying to mean that if you get a tier II caribou permit, you can't hunt caribou anywhere else, and if you get a tier II moose permit, then you can't hunt moose anywhere else. I don't think it is set up where if you get either one you can't hunt for either species. If that is true, then it was really poorly written because it could easily mean the worse of those options.....then again, since I won't be getting a tier II caribou, then it would leave more drawing permits open for me....

So what's next? Another delay possibly to allow those that didn't apply to apply now that the rules have changed? That is what they did last year. The BOG was advised by the attorney's we paid for and ignored the advice. Now we are paying again for the courts to rule. And yet they continue to spout they need additional funds to pay for their shennigans. I say cut off the funds and they will come to their senses. Easy to play games when someone is willing to pay you to do it.

F&G has always been arrogrant and cocky. They want to ignore any common sense approach untill the courts push it down there throats. Then they repeat it till the courts push it down there throats again.
    Can ya tell I might not like how Alaska F&G operates? lol
    Tennessee

Smile quote

Sorry, I couldnt find the citation for the herd numbers are down rumor I started, but I did find that for last year this was the case with only 2,000 caribou allowed including both federal subsistance and tier II so I think something similar this year would be reasonable. Either way I would need a population explosion to get a tag. (But at least its possible without the income question). I think I will head up that way this Fall and help my own cause bear hunting!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Did I read that correctly?....If you get a Tier 2 you can't get drawn for Moose?........
    Since winter drawing permits are awarded before they award Tier II permits, you might easily already be drawn for a moose permit.

For example, I got drawn for a DM808 permit this year from the winter application period. I also applied for a TC 566 Nelchina caribou permit.

If the "super-exclusive" area BS is worded such.......:

......Linkage between the Tier II permits and drawing permits comes from the so-called “super exclusive” regulation the Board passed last year. Under that regulation, anyone who is awarded a Tier II caribou or moose permit in Unit 13 is prohibited from hunting moose or caribou anywhere else in the state, thus would be ineligible for any drawing permits for those species. The “super exclusive” regulation was upheld by the court.

........than if I get a Tier II permit awarded to me, my DM 808 permit is automatically voided (and, thus, I got awarded a permit that somebody else could have used).

Great system, huh?

All because people whined and cried to the BOG to make the Nelchina caribou Tier II hunt so undesirable as to make people not want to hunt it.

Years ago we could have appropriately kept the Nelchina hunt a drawing hunt so that everybody might have a chance at it, but the greedy would have lost out on their "gimme", and the state was desperate to try to satisfy the Federal requirement of ANILCA with a subsistence program that also satisfied the Alaska Constitution.

The result is that we all lost...........

....a scrawny little 'bou isn't going to pull a family through a winter...
    The goal isn't to pull a family through the winter. This ain't Ethiopia. There is plenty of meat available, even if one must buy it.

The goal behind the "super-exclusive" BS is to either make the TC 566 hunt undesirable, to punish those who get the permits, or to shut the whiners up.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    So what's next? Another delay possibly to allow those that didn't apply to apply now that the rules have changed? That is what they did last year.....
    They better do it again this year, too, or they'll face lawsuits.

This is all about whiners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Sorry, I couldnt find the citation for the herd numbers are down rumor I started, but I did find that for last year this was the case with only 2,000 caribou allowed including both federal subsistance and tier II so I think something similar this year would be reasonable. Either way I would need a population explosion to get a tag. (But at least its possible without the income question). I think I will head up that way this Fall and help my own cause bear hunting!
    I unsuccessfuly bear hunted that unit this year but I will be back this fall looking for wolves! We could do everyone a favor and take out a few from that area! If they keep pulling $300 a hide it might just pay for itself too

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I unsuccessfuly bear hunted that unit this year but I will be back this fall looking for wolves! We could do everyone a favor and take out a few from that area! If they keep pulling $300 a hide it might just pay for itself too
    It seems that my luck with wolfs, sucks! If I see one close, it's gone before I can get my hand on a gun. If I see one way off, he is in a different zip code, I waste a box of shells before it figures out he's in trouble. (trouble, as in he might get hit by a flying rock)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

That is why I am going to add an AR to my arsenal! I figure 30 rounds should up my odds a bit

Mark

Regarding the "super-exclusive" BS, this is from the Tier II hunt supplement (page 1):

.....If you obtain a Unit 13 Tier II caribou or moose permit, you may not hunt for that species anywhere else in the state during the same regulatory year.....

Default "Super Exclusive"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since winter drawing permits are awarded before they award Tier II permits, you might easily already be drawn for a moose permit.

For example, I got drawn for a DM808 permit this year from the winter application period. I also applied for a TC 566 Nelchina caribou permit.

If the "super-exclusive" area BS is worded such.......:

........than if I get a Tier II permit awarded to me, my DM 808 permit is automatically voided (and, thus, I got awarded a permit that somebody else could have used).

Great system, huh?

All because people whined and cried to the BOG to make the Nelchina caribou Tier II hunt so undesirable as to make people not want to hunt it.

Years ago we could have appropriately kept the Nelchina hunt a drawing hunt so that everybody might have a chance at it, but the greedy would have lost out on their "gimme", and the state was desperate to try to satisfy the Federal requirement of ANILCA with a subsistence program that also satisfied the Alaska Constitution.

The result is that we all lost...........

The goal isn't to pull a family through the winter. This ain't Ethiopia. There is plenty of meat available, even if one must buy it.

The goal behind the "super-exclusive" BS is to either make the TC 566 hunt undesirable, to punish those who get the permits, or to shut the whiners up.
    The way it is listed on the Tier II supplement is "If you obtain a unit 13 Tier II caribou or moose permit, you may not hunt for that species anywhere else in the state during the same regulatory year."

Based on that, it appears that a tier II caribou permit would not void or otherwise make you inelegible for a moose permit somewhere else. Unfortunately, as we well know, just because that is what is shown on the application, it isn't necessarily how it will be enforced.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The way it is listed on the Tier II supplement is "If you obtain a unit 13 Tier II caribou or moose permit, you may not hunt for that species anywhere else in the state during the same regulatory year."

Based on that, it appears that a tier II caribou permit would not void or otherwise make you inelegible for a moose permit somewhere else.......
    Yeah. I checked the supplement out of curiosity and found that.

So I can utilize my DM 808 moose permit after all!

Default Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That is why I am going to add an AR to my arsenal! I figure 30 rounds should up my odds a bit
    You obviously haven't killed many wolves, have you? they aren't the big prob. in 13 anymore anyway, the arial guys have em whittled down pretty good.

Default Who's whining?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    They better do it again this year, too, or they'll face lawsuits.

This is all about whiners.
    Who's doing the whining?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast