Thread: Help with Scope Selection for M70

Default Help with Scope Selection for M70

I have a M70 Classic Safari Express in .416 that I need to put a scope on, but I'm having a little trouble.

I plan to use Talley rings and bases (the bases do not overhang into the breech area). I'm having trouble finding a scope to fit my purposes so I thought would see if anyone here could help me out.

I want a 1x4 or a 1.5 x 5 or something similar. The problem I am having is most of the scopes I've found are too short or too long. The scope has to have a tube length long enough to span the breech of a M70 .416, prefereably with room to spare for eye relief adjustment, but not have an overall length too long so as to bump into the rear iron site (which I am leaving on the since the Talley's quick detach) I do not want to go with higher rings that would allow the scope to go over top the rear site, if possible.

About the only scope I have found that I think will do what I want is the Leupold VX7 class. It has a tube lenght of 7 inches with a 9 inch overall lenght. The Swaro and Zeiss seem too long, coming in at 11 inches.

Does anyone know of any other options? I'm not an expert on all the available scopes out there, so I thought that there may be many more here that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Matt

Could you give the outside to outside ring measurement on you rifle?

til later

Take a look at this one, maybe it could work on your 416.
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...ii-1-5-5x20mm/

Default scope

mclalaska I have the same rifle and put a pentax light seeker on mine. 1.75 x 6 I believe, but I would have to look. Got mine at boondocks, when they were getting rid of it. Put quick disconnect for the scope so the iron sights are not interferred with. It is a great up close scope but if you get one or one similar to it you will have to get used to seeing the end of the barrel in the scope.

good luck

akfred

Guys,

Thanks for the scope suggestions... I will take a closer look at both of those reccomended.

I will post the outside ring measurements....when I get home... I should have brought that info with me to the office before I originally posted! Duh!

Thanks again....

Matt

Take a look at the Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32 scope. I got it on my Model 70 classic stainless 375 H&H. Also using Talley quick-release lever rings and bases. The bases don't over hang into the breach area and the scope sits perfect with plenty of eye relief (thanks to Leupold).

Matt, any problem with bolt clearing the scope with your rings? I have the same scope on a LH M70 .338 with Leopold low rings and there are times I feel there isn't as much room as I'd like.

If you want to stick with the 1x4 or 1.5x5 (excellant choices), go with the offset rings. I'm not to fond of them but they work.

Smile Leupold....

I have a VXIII Leupold 1.5 x 5 with a German #4 and a 1.75 x 6 by 32 mm with a post duplex reticle. They are light scopes with a lot of eye relief, fast and provide plenty of magnification for any shot you would normally take with a .416. In a set of Warne rings they fit just fine on my Mod. 70 .375.

those german #4's are nice. I have a 1x4 with a german #4 and love it. sorry off topic.

Thumbs up Leupold 1.5x5

Suggest a Leupold 1.5x5 in Warme QR Rings Low and Warne steel bases

I have a Packmar Pivot rings and bases that fit the Win 70 long action...........would be excellent!
    Alaska

The Swarovski integral rails scope or the Zeiss Diavari with the rail will give you what you need and they can be adapted to a QR system although not to the Talleys

Here's a pic of my 375 H&H. It shows the rings and bases that I'm talking about.

Schmidt and Bender Zenith 1-5-6X42. If you can afford it, totally worth it. I had those same concerns when I mounted it on my custom CZ 550 375 because the action is a full length magnum action... But it was just fine. It will religate your VX-7 down to amateur status.

Nightforce 1x4x24, 30mm tube, overall length 8.8", mounting length 5.4", eye relief 3.5". It will stand up to your .416 One of the toughest scopes out there. I personaly would go with the 2 1/2x10.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOP...s_models_.html

Nothing like the good old Idaho vs Montana s&b vs nightforce debate!!! By the way montana, any good hunts planned this fall?

Hey there Idaho,

I wasn't really debating, just putting another option out there, but....., S&B's are great scopes but they cost a fair bit more than the NF's. From what I've read, the S&B's probably have a little better glass than the NF's, but the NF glass very high quality and I think is more than adequate and I think I could probably shoot a lion in the moon light with one. As for ruggedness, I get the impression that the NF beats the S&B, but not a 100% sure on that. The tests that the NF's go through are incredible and the only other scope that I think would stand up are the USO's, but once again, more spendy than the NF. Here is a picture of one that has an enemy bullet hole throught the tube. The soldier ductaped it and it was good to go, worked perfectly for him except the power adjustment was stuck.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/MILI...tary___le.html

You guys in ID make some good scopes

I also think they probably have the best tacking system too, have heard nothing but perfect repeatability results.

As for hunts this fall, I have put in for antelope and if I draw (which Is hould) I'll be going for a buck and two does and plant to use my new SAKO 300 WSM. Also planning on the usaul deer and elk hunting but I'll try elk during the early archery season first. Also hope to find a hapless bear abd get a nice hide.

How about you? How's your new Tika doing?

Tikka is beyond expectations...Problem is I don't want to stop using my 375. I will get to use the tikka and the 375 as I have a busy fall. Drew a left over moose tag in the Selway as well as the usual backcountry elk and deer. Also drew wyoming antelope and my wife drew unit 40 deer and elk...The two toughest trophy hunts in the state!!! Hoping to use the tikka on my antelope hunt and the wife will use it for her hunts.

Wont be using the S&B for a lion, but hopefully a trophy moose the the Selway's hellish black timber!!!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...