Thread: Double Rifle 470 Nitro

Default Double Rifle 470 Nitro

Iím considering purchasing a double rifle in 470 Nitro, but Iíve never fired one. Has anyone ever had this experience and if so, is the pain worth the idea of hunting with this cannon?

It is a push not a jab so you will be fine

Having not fired a 470 Nitro yet I have no idea but if you are getting a good deal on a nice double I would consider it. The ones I have fired (375 and a 458) have not been bad and I would certainly fire them again.

I would guess that it would not be the most comfortable bench gun but would still be lots of fun to shoot and certainly enough gun for anything Alaska can dish out. Unless you are going to scope it (ugghh) after sighting it in I would do most of your shooting standing up.

Doug

Red face shooting the .470 Nitro Express

Jim,
    Hint, do all of your shooting standing up.
    Dan

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Never fired a 470 but have put many rounds through it's equivalent, a 500/465 in a Dumoulin double. They are quite a treat to shoot. If you can get both barrels to regulate into a grapefruit size group at 100 yards you have a shooter.

Default Double your fun...

The 470 double is a ***** cat to shoot. The weight up forward and the balance makes a very soft shove, 11-11 1/2# is about right. I've shot a dozen of them and they are loads of fun to shoot. As folks are saying, shoot standing up or standing with sticks. Typically they are regulated at 60 yards so no need to shoot farther. Both barrels should group into 2" at sixty yards. The factory ammo will usually be there. If it's an old rifle it may not regulate with new Federal ammo. Handloads will help that.

If this is a new Chapuis, you have found a great one. The best buy in a new double. The old English guns are beautiful but not always good shooters. Check with George Caswell at Champlin arms for more info on them. He is the man in the U.S who knows doubles.

Allen, your 500/465 is great caliber, I've never shot one of those but seen a couple of the old H&H's around. I hear they shoot very well. Kind of a light target rifle aren't they?

Murphy
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone! Youíve provided me some good input. Now itís time to start doing my research, there are a lot of new manufactures in this arena, and it can be a challenge to get past their advertising hype. I try and get in touch with George Caswell.

Thanks again,

JIM

Jim,

I took a Chapuis .470 double to Africa in 2004. Rifles in this class are much easier to shoot than you would expect. As with anything, put in a lot of time practicing - not just for marksmanship (if that word applies to shooting doubles) but also for operation issues such as reloading and handling this type of action. Most of us are accustomed to bolt actions or other common action types, and it takes a bit of work to get used to the break open action and tang safety.

I shot a cape buffalo at about 25 yards. Dropped it in its tracks with the first shot (kind of boring in comparison to the way I expected things to go). I'm not sure what you plan on hunting, but the .470 should handle just about anything.

I owned the Chapuis Brousse model, and have handled Merkels and a Searcy in .470. All are solid and affordable (relatively speaking). I have owned doubles in other calibers by WW Greener and Westley Richards, and recommend them highly, although they tend to cost a bit more. Also, the vintage rifles (1905 Greener and 1894 & 1898 Westley Richards) were a lot more finicky than the Chapuis. I never did get that Greener to shoot worth a darn...

Good luck with your search, and let me know if I can help you out.

Doug DeShazo