Thread: Looking for max 10mm load

Default Looking for max 10mm load

I have a great S&W 500 but love the way my 10mm shoots. So I would like to carry my 10mm as my backup pistol when out and about.

Does anyone have a proven load that does not damage the pistol but would be somewhat suitable for the purpose?

The 500 flat out has great penetration and knockdown power but is it ever a pain to carry.

Take a look at the Handgun Forum...there's a thread over there about ammunition for the G20. You might find it useful.

Default thanks

Thought this forum might be the better one but the information in the other one was very helpful. Thanks for the tip.

The best info you can find is by going to Glocktalk.com and going into the relaoding sections. Lots of really good info including many posts by Mik Mcnett from Doubletap who has the abilty to pressure test loads. He has also done some penetration testing.
    Good luck. akraven

Default black or brown?

If you will be carrying the 10mm in an area with NO grizz/brownies, just blackbear, the 10mm would be fine, most ammo for it being a step below 41 magnum in power. For grizz.brownies, I'd absolutely take the 500. What kind of holster do you have for the 500? If it is not one of the long barreled guns, it should be fine.
    Sheesh! First, handguns are replacing rifles and shotguns for convenience (and less available power) and now smaller pistols are coming out ahead of large pistols for portability. What next? The 10mm is a powerful semi-auto, but not the best, imho, for a potent trail gun.

Mike McNett also contributes to another forum...

http://www.10mmtalk.com/

Very informed posters and a pleasant forum. You'll have any questions you have answered.