Thread: Shrimp Pot Buoy Data Requirements

Default Shrimp Pot Buoy Data Requirements

Just to clarify the requirements for info on personal use fishery shrimp pot buoys, see the regs below. Many of the pots I see out in the Sound do not meeting this regulation:

From 2008 Alaska Sport Fishing Regs:

Statewide Regs:
    Sport fishing gear for shellfish: Unless otherwise provided by the area regulations in 5 AAC 46 -- 5 AAC 70, shellfish may be taken only as follows: (1) on a keg or buoy attached to each pot, the sport angler shall plainly and legibly inscribe his or her first initial, last name, home address, and the name or the Coast Guard number of the vessel used to operate the pot;

And from the Prince William Sound Shellfish section:
    Buoy Requirements: Each keg or buoy must have the name of the fisher
    (first initial, last name), the address,
    the shrimp permit number (for North
    Gulf Coast), and the name or AK number
    of the boat used to fish the pots.

FYI - North Gulf Coast area Personal Use Shrimp area is south out of Resurrection Bay from Aialik Cape to Gore Point

Default If the

above is correct, then most of the pots in PWS are illegal.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

All of mine are marked correctly. However I did see some pots set on Tuesday that had no markings whatsoever....................
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I'm a noob at shrimping wo to make sure I was doing things correctly, I checked and rechecked the regs. Never can be to careful you know. Gotta have that address, name and and boat number or name on it.

I have learned that the Coast Guard will pull your pots of all the requirements are not on the buoy. They pulled something like 500 last year. I am betting between this, and people dropping them in too deep of water (which I did last week ), it would account for most of the pots that people think are "stolen".

I am sure that some are stolen, but am willing to bet it's not as many as people think.

Last year I dropped a line of 2 pots right as the depth changed, and found them floating quite a ways away later. They were very hard to spot.. and we looked for a long time before seeing about 1/8th of the buoy floating.

Last week we dropped a string of 2 pots, and the bottom got away from us again. For some reason, I sent the bout out anyway...thinking it would still float enough for me to pick it up and reposition it. In a handful of seconds, it sank right in front of us, before we could turn around and grab it!!

Bottom line, mark them right and watch your depths....and I am sure less pots will "disappear".

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default Opps

I thought I was doing it right, but I dont have my address on them...
    Thanks for the info I overlooked.........
    Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    ...people dropping them in too deep of water (which I did last week...
    And why is it that you're not allowing at least tide+20 on the line length?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

First off, both of my mistakes were just plain stupid. I knew better inside, but for some reason did it anyway.

This most recent time, my brother and I were dropping the pots and the wife was driving the boat. The line was brand new, and still coiled in the nice neat tight wrap ( I didn't take the time to uncoil it first). I started feeding it out, and of course it began to twist and then got into a big knot.

We untangled the knot for about 5 minutes, while 70% of the line was already in the water with the pots hanging. When we got the knot out, the wife told me the current depth (which was a tad too deep).

For some reason, I thought it would be OK and I let the rest out anyway. We watched as the buoy sank out of sight, as we were turning the boat around to grab the line and pull it to a shallower depth.

Pretty much plain stupidity...with a bit of frustration mixed in !!

I still find it hard to believe that it sank, let alone sank that fast. Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

Like I said, the other time this happened, it floated for a few hours. Hard to believe the weight of 2 pots (8# each) and the line could sink the buoy.

I have learned though !!

AkBillyBow

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    And why is it that you're not allowing at least tide+20 on the line length?
    I've told you guys once and i'll tell you again "25-30% more buoyline than the depth of the water". Tide & 20ft ain't gonna do it.
    I found a set of 2 BJ's pots, anchor & white buoyball almost sunk and floating this season gillnetting, i'm back home now and will be calling the owner(Tim from eagle river??) to give them back to him. Also heard from other gillnetters about 3/4's sunk buoys floating around the sound. People need to use lots of buoyline. By the way if your going to pull rope out of a coil you want to pull it out of the center of the coil in a counter clockwise direction, its called "with the sun" by the old lobstahmen, then you shouldn't get the ********s in the rope.
    One other thing remember about the currents in the sound, they will sweep your pots into the deep real quick so you need to set shallower than you want to fish and "lead" the pots into the spot & depth you want to fish.
    OR
    don't listen to me and keep getting pots "stolen" and buying more gear to replace them(good for me)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default You can listen to me now or pay me later

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    OR
    don't listen to me and keep getting pots "stolen" and buying more gear to replace them(good for me)

Words of wisdom!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Steve, I'm glad you talked me out of replacing my pots this year. I would have been really mad if I would have lost them on the first drop!!

Looks like I will be getting those new collapsable pots I wanted after all, though. Count me in for 3 collapsables Steve !! I'll phone you when I get back into town.

Todd

Question buoy size?

I wonder whether some lost pots might be correlated with the size of bouy used. I've picked up mine a few times where it was hanging straight down beyond the depth of the line. I use 18-inch diameter buoys which apparently are sufficient to keep the gear floating should it drift off. Ditto to not fudge on the 20% additional scope to depth rule. Not only do they not float off as often, they catch more shrimp too!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    ...Tide & 20ft ain't gonna do it...
    Sorry, there's a character missing from my post... it's the % sign. That's not feet, it is percent. Tide, meaning that you account for water depth at the highest tide, then add 20%. That's what we used for crab pots in the lower Cook Inlet back when there used to be fishable crab populations a long, long, time ago. The phrase, "Tide plus twenty" was just one of those easy things to remember, but it could just as easily be "Tide plus twenty-five"... it was a long time ago.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default how much pot will

a 18" bouy float?

I am going to try to run a 5 pot string (single string for now) and use one 18" buoy. 3 pots have 6 pounds weight in them. 2 pots have 5 pounds weight in them. and I have a 5 pounder 10' in front of the first pot. Using floating line on the bottom 200' with 35 foot space between pots - spliced to a sinking line right up to the buoy.

I am going to put a 5 gal bucket on the buoy to help pull it more steady with an anchor lift system http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/produ...anchorlift.htm (cept the one I have is aluminum).

The only thing that I am worried about is whether the buoy will float the weight both while I am pulling it and when it is at rest...........

Next time I will seperate the pots into two strings.

I would say an 18" buoy is not going to float (suspend) your pots. Based on a quick bouyancy calc for an 18" sphere it will float approx 13#. You need enough line based on high tide (see posts below) to be able to float your buoy. Be careful pulling them with the buoy, it is the resistance of the bouy in the water and the pull of the boat that will bring them up. Pulling fast = lots tension on the line and potential to break the line and loose the whole works...I have seen this happen with others. You are better off using fewer pots on a string.