Thread: .30-06 with an 18.5" barrel

Default .30-06 with an 18.5" barrel

Just came into a real gem of a Remington 700 in .30-06 The barrel has been prefessionally cut back to 18.5" Am i pushing it in hoping for 2700 fps with a 168 grain Nosler Combined Technologies bullet???

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    Just came into a real gem of a Remington 700 in .30-06 The barrel has been prefessionally cut back to 18.5" Am i pushing it in hoping for 2700 fps with a 168 grain Nosler Combined Technologies bullet???
    I've owned a couple with 18.5" barrels over the years. One a bolt and the other a 760 carbine. You're probably not pushing it, but it will be a load right near the top with the right powder. Ballistically you can think of it as kind of a glorified (and loud!) 308 Winchester.

Slowers powders like 4350 are going to be louder than heck- pant leg flappers, we call them. I ended up loading both of mine with either 3031 (180 grain bullets) or 4064 (200 and 220 grain bullets) to cut the noise a bit. From what I recall on the chrono (sorry, but it appears I didn't log details when I tested slow powders with those guns 25 years ago) I lost less velocity compared to longer barrels with those faster powders than I did with the slower powders. Whatever the justification, the only loads that made it to my log are with 30301 and 4064. Comparing them with what I see in today's reloading manuals and my log for 06 in 22" barrels, it looks like you lose less than 100 fps along with the 3.5" of barrel.

I sure liked handling my shorty 06's, but man. I couldn't hear for an hour after shooting game with either of them.

Thanks for taking the time Brownbear. I appreciate it. Muzzleblast shouldn't be an issue as i shoot some fairly stout loads in my Guidegun and its not too bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time Brownbear. I appreciate it. Muzzleblast shouldn't be an issue as i shoot some fairly stout loads in my Guidegun and its not too bothersome.

Eh? Whazzat you say? Quit yer mumblin and speek up, Youngun.

I gotta say, I'd make it bothersome if you can. I've spend right at 50 years shooting, virtually all range and casual shooting with hearing protection, but none while hunting. And I'm getting deafer than a post.

I had the chance one time to listen in on a shouting match between Elmer Keith and Jack Oconnor at a SHOT show way back when. Or at least that's what it sounded like, and who could miss hearing them even in a big auditorium full of people. Turns out they were sitting right next to each other, laughing and carrying on as old friends, but shouting pretty near at the top of their lungs to be able to hear each other.

I'm not saying I'd wear hearing protection in the field then or now, but there's no putting the hearing back once you wear it out. Years of revolver hunting probably did the most damage, but it's hard to discount all that shotgunning back when birds were everywhere and I wa such a bad shot it took a box of shells to hit one of them.

I'd say if you can find a powder that gives satisfactory ballistics without as much blast, use it. Both of my short 06's were so loud with factory loads that my hunting pards wouldn't even go to the range with me.

I used to have an 18 inch 30-06 Mannlicher carbine that I made from an FN Mauser. It had a 1 in 10 twist Interarms barrel screwed on it...

For some reason mine was not accurate with the mis range bullets, but it would shoot 200 grain Speers into one hole. So for that little carbine the best load was 56.5 grains of IMR 4831 (yeah I know it is a slow powder) with a 200 grain Speer semi spitzer. It had a muzzle velocity of 2,420 fps from that 18 inch barrel and only had a 10 fps variation.

I wish I still had that carbine so I could try some of the reloader powders. I'll bet that RL-15 or RL-19 would work great.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I wouldn’t exactly call it a “loud 308” as it will still obtain more fps with any given bullet weight than a 308 would with the same length barrel. At its most rudimentary level; more case volume = more powder = more pressure = more velocity with any given weight bullet. That is why with the same powder, same bullet and same barrel length, the largest capacity / powder charge will always provide the highest velocity………………

I personally prefer carbines as I find them handier to pack around and I am not all that worried about a 100 fps or so loss. I have noted that with the heaver bullets, velocity loss due to a shorter barrel is far less than it is with lighter bullets in the same caliber. in some cases, less than 40 fps dif between a 20" and 24" barrel. Cant say as to the difference in noise, but don’t doubt that it would be louder with a shorter barrel. I have lost so much hearing over the years that I don’t even hunt without a foam ear plug in my left ear. It seems to have gotten the most abuse over the years and I suppose it may be due to the stock deflecting some of the sound away from my right ear, but whatever the reason, I prefer not to loose any more hearing than I already have.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio