Thread: All boaters and anglers will be hurt by this!

Cape Coral, Florida

Default All boaters and anglers will be hurt by this!

Sen. Murkowski stopped S. 2766, and it will cost recreational boaters.
    This is the text of an e-mail I sent to Sen. Murkowski and Sen. Stevens of Alaska this morning. I ask that you consider doing the same, or write your own. The link for Sen. Murkowski is:
    The link for Sen. Stevens is:

Sen. Olympia Snow (R-ME) and Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) are supporting S. 2766. There are more registered commercial fishing boats in Maine than in Alaska – 6,667.
    Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R-NC) and Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) also have a large commercial fishing constituency – 6,207 registered commercial fishing boats. They too support S. 2766.
    In the state with more registered commercial fishing boats than any other – Louisiana with 13,419 – both U.S. Senators, Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) and Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA), support the Clean Boating Act of 2008, S. 2766.
    The rationale that small commercial fishing boats are not protected by S. 2766 is spurious. Mat Dunn, the NMMA’s congressional liaison officer working on the bill, says, “As long as a boat is manufactured for recreational purposes and is not a USCG-inspected commercial vessel, it falls under S.2677. It does not matter whether the boat is used for commercial fishing or not.”
    Your action of stopping S. 2766 will economically damage over 17 million Americans, including over 51,000 of your own constituents, in favor of less than 5,500 of your constituents.
    I find that inexcusable. I am copying every fishing organization and boat owners association in Alaska I can find with this e-mail, as well as in my home state.
    Please reconsider your actions, and support, rather than defeat, S. 2766.

You should have searched the forum because this is already a topic of discussion here.

No harm in posting again, in fact I failed to respond to our Senators when the issue first came up, now I have. Thanks for the reminder.