Thread: pleasantly blush King

Default pleasantly blush King

My second oldest son caught a King last weekend that was about 35 pounds. As you can see from the pics the fish was blush to say the least. I let him keep it since Mom and I talked him into letting a 10 pounder go in search of a larger King which he later caught.

The King was a bit red but I let Austin keep it. I figured I could smoke it at least.

Turns out the King was red on the inside as well as the outside. We grilled some of the King and also fried some up and the meat is very good. I saved my King for the smoker and cut Austins into chunks for cooking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking awesome!

Good job by the little guy and an excellent fish! I can't believe how red that meat is!

Jon

Thumbs up

Nice fillet! You do a good job with your processing, I see some real butcher jobs at the fish cleaning table. Great King.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfish365 View Post
    Nice fillet! You do a good job with your processing, I see some real butcher jobs at the fish cleaning table. Great King.
    Thanks. I have also scored a couple salmon bellies while at the fish cleaning tables. I have told a couple people that the belly is like the tenderloins of the fish but like me they are slow to convince.

I have also learned to trim the thin strips that get missed above and below the spine and fry them. I know it is only a couple pieces but it does make a meal for one.

Default That fillet job wasn't quite finished....

Don't forget to harvest the "collars", too.

This part of the fish yields lots of great meat at the insertion of the pectoral fins (similar in color/texture to the cheek meat), in the throat area that some folks call the "isthmus", as well as the anterior-most chunk of "shoulder" meat that inserts into the back of the head. Just look at the hunk of meat on the top of the tray in the attached pic!

My favorite piece of the fish, hands down!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I got everything that goes into the head and if you look at the center of the fillet you can see I cut right up between the front fins. So all that is left is the fins themselves.

All I left was fish head/carcass soup.

That carcass was not the end of the trimming. I took my strips off for frying.

Do you smoke that collar piece?

By the time I cut that fin out of the collar there would not be much left of that piece.

I dont seem to have a problem smoking Silver bellies fins and all but the king salmon fins I have to trim out before I throw them in the smoker.

We try to harvest as much of the fish as possible including roasting the carcass, picking off the meat and either using it for salmon dip or sandwiches or freezing it for later use. It can be used like you use tuna. It's a shame to see folks throw so much of the fish away that is harvestable...and tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by bydingtime View Post
    It's a shame to see folks throw so much of the fish away that is harvestable...and tasty!

There's a guy on youtube who shows you how to clean a huge variety of fish. I cna't tell where he is but he's got an accent and he seems to work for a commercial fish processor. In one of the videos, he has one of the other employees show you how they scrape the salmon carcasses with spoon to get all the meat off. I forget what he said they did with it but it's good to see anyways. maybe it was used in sausages or fish cakes?

I do see some that I think are wasting a lot of meat.

I saw a guy remove pin bones by cutting about a 2" strip out of each fillet.

I think I do pretty good with mine.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I do see some that I think are wasting a lot of meat.

I saw a guy remove pin bones by cutting about a 2" strip out of each fillet.

I think I do pretty good with mine.

2" is a total waste, I usually remove 1/4" to 3/8". The guy you saw was a butcher!!!

I know some guys that use a pair of pliers to remove them thus not wasting any meat. Too much work for this guy though.