Thread: Duck hunting

Default Duck hunting

Where in homer can you duck hunt? I heard across the spit. I also heard they have the same types of ducks as Kodiak.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default China Poot

Gray,
    I have been trying to figure it out for a bit now. One problem is the drive & the weather, long drive hauling a boat on icy roads for a weekend of duck hunting.
    That said, seldovia has a lot of ducks in november & they spread into some of the bays towards halibut cove. I heard china poot is really good & there is a guide that has floating blinds for seaducks there as well. However I have only been there once & don't know the channel that well to be going in at 1st light. I would guess that would mean sadie & tutka would be alright as well, but it would be nice to get specifics from someone who is there on a regular basis.

Default homer duckhunting...

don't know all that much about duckhunting down here, but i am planning on making my boat available for transport of duckhunters this fall...i do know that china poot and mallard bay, along with the head of the bay are popular spots.
    getting in anywhere is tidally dependant...having enough light is just a bonus.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Exclamation Homer Birds

I've been over there quite a bit in the spring and winter when the brids are starting to pair up and move aroud to nest, but they have a lot of the same habits/patterns as the birds in the Kodiak/ Afognak area.

In the fall they start bunching up in those bays out of the wind for the most part getting ready to head south. Any point, rock outcropping or any other land mass that puts you out just a little farther than the main land should be a good bet. I did this with no boat and no decoys in Malina Bay on Afognak with great success. Of course the next year I did bring a inflatable and a half dozen dekes and had some Great decoying action.

For the most part you will be shooting goldeneyes, harlequins, mergansers, oldsquaws (longtailed duck) mallards and wigeons.

Hope this helps! Now I'm shaking, can't wait to watch the wingtips touch!! Z
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default homer / kenai

Hntdux,
    I don't get real excited about the early sesaon up here but come mid oct- nov or so it would be great to head that way. Mabey we can connect & spend a weekend or two down there. I would even be up to hiring Dave for the transport as that would make it easier.
    Also I would like to load up on the ferry one weekend in Nov & head to seldovia if the tides are right.

Default AKMarmot

Sounds good!! I leave the 13th for Kodiak for a MT Goat hunt I'll be back the 20th.
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default Costs?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    don't know all that much about duckhunting down here, but i am planning on making my boat available for transport of duckhunters this fall...i do know that china poot and mallard bay, along with the head of the bay are popular spots.
    getting in anywhere is tidally dependant...having enough light is just a bonus.

Dave, what are you thinking about charging for a dropoff hunt? And how late in the year are you thinking of running your boat?

Default homer ducks

new to the forum I'm very interested in duck hunting in homer or over salt water just about anywhere, I was wondering if anyone had some good advice or would except a gas buying ride along for a trip? Been hunting jim creek area for a while looking to get into some new areas and some big water ducks eiders scooters oldsquaws.

Default Homer Transport

HomerDave,
    What did you decide on making your boat avail for transport this fall.
    I'm thinking the time is drawing near when the birds should start moving down there in adddition to the local sea ducks.
    If so drop me a message & I will see if I can't round a couple people up.
    Thanks,

Hi all,

My name is ROB. I am a huge duck hunter originally from the midwest. Illinois mostly. ANd I feel I am a bit out of my element. THough I have lived in homer for 2 years now I have yet to have a really successful hunt. Its so hard to get dialed in on the action when I'm always Underway.ANyways, I was wondering If anybody here would mind explaining or letting me tag along for a hunt. Gas,food, and drinks on me. If ya'll could help me get started i'd really appreciate it.

Ive hunted China poet bay did real good on goldeneyes but that was years ago. I would be interested in going also

Default Homer Charters?

So are there any charters doing daily dropoffs in Nov? I'd still like to get do this one of these year. Any recomendations?