Thread: Hydraulic trailer brake question

Default Hydraulic trailer brake question

Good evening.

I recently replaced my tandem axle EZ loader trailer's backing plate and bearing/race, etc for all 4 wheels.

I just test drove the trailer and brakes are working fine but may be too well.... After a few miles the hubs were getting warm to touch, as they should, but one was getting a bit hot although I could still touch it. I made sure the spindle nut wasn't too tight and finger tightened it again. Then I jacked up the trailer to check the brake adjustments and all 4 wheels appeared to have brakes/wheels binding. I readjusted the brakes by tightening the adjuster until I can't turn the wheel by hand. Then I back off the adjuster by 8-10 clicks until the wheel rotates freely with a little push. I drove a few more miles after this and checked the brakes again and they were still binding and a different hub was getting a bit hot to touch...what's up with this?

Do you have any idea? I really would like to take the boat out this weekend but I don't want to be stranded off the road.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

yhc

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

If your trailer has a surge type master cylinder on the hitch try putting a big c clamp on it to keep it open (you won't have any brakes on the trailer) and then tow to see if it is getting hot.

Default brakes

It sounds like you still have a brake a little to tight, not a wheel bearing issue because it switched from one wheel to an other, you could back off the brakes and test drive the trailer and see if any wheels are over heating, if not reset your brakes and check again, if still getting hot on one or two wheels back off the brakes a little more, are the brake shoes new? this will also make them run a little hotter especially if the drums are ruff, this should help you isolate the problem, it sounds like you just have a brake or two a little to tight.PS. I do this for a living,

Default Thanks

Good morning and thanks for the replies.

The brake backing w/ brake clusters are all new and the drums were turned before I reassembled it.

I will try re-adjusting them and follow your recommendations today.

One more question...could the actuator be the problem? I am thinking if the actuator does not release the pressure then I can back off the brakes all day but the wheel cylinders will remain extended causing the hubs to get over heated.

Regards,

yhc

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Good morning and thanks for the replies.

The brake backing w/ brake clusters are all new and the drums were turned before I reassembled it.

I will try re-adjusting them and follow your recommendations today.

One more question...could the actuator be the problem? I am thinking if the actuator does not release the pressure then I can back off the brakes all day but the wheel cylinders will remain extended causing the hubs to get over heated.

Regards,

yhc
    Did you have the wheel cylinders off??? It's posssible you could have an air issue. If all wheels are set the same (?) and the actuator was not releasing then it would be on two or three or all four. The other thing is ensure that you are indeed getting the wheel cylinders backed off. It's harder to back them up then it is to tighten them. Make sure you hear the clicks. I use to try to tighten mine with the drums off to where you had to use a rubber mallet to presuede the drums back on.

I elminated surge on all trailers a while back with an electric over hydraulic setup. You may find this a better way to go if you have to replace the surge unit. Two years ago I put disks on my tandem axle trailer.....well just ****!!!! They are nice and very easy to flush if you dip in saltwater.

Default Problem solved

Thanks for your input.

I found the problem to be with the surge brake actuator. The rollers have been getting stuck. I adjusted the screws and a bit of lubrication did the trick.

Again thanks and Happy 4th.

Regards,

yhc