Thread: snowballs, steephills and gravity

Default snowballs, steephills and gravity

So over the last 3 weeks I've been boat shopping. I don't believe I've seen it all but I certainly feel as though I've heard it all...

I started thinking and shopping a few weeks prior to posting (Homer boat needs...) and have continued to look around... I have not discounted the advice I received but have to work this out from beginning to end...

The process led me down a path I was not aware I was prepared to travel... But you know it's hard to stop a train...

So now I'm considering taking the BIG PLUNGE...

I'm considering something in the 21-24 ft preferably aluminum hard top and fairly new.

I've looked at several 22 Hewes Craft sea runners and an ocean pro, an 22 Aurora Eagle and a 21 Ft Wooldridge Deep Water plus.

So any recommendations out there? I know there at least one boat show this fall and another come winter... I just want the most information I can get before I sign on the dotted line.

I need something comfortable, stable, trailerable. Something safe for PWS, Seward and Homer...

Default Only Money

I think it boils down to money. I have probably been to all the places and heard of the same stuff as you have in your quest. I can only say that money seems to open a lot more doors. $20k to $30k will pay for a decent fairly new 22 to 24 footer. But you raise the ceiling and more and more options become available. It can be confusing as I started out in that range and am now looking upwards to $90k. Of course, the $30k used Trophy looks awfully inviting as it will do whatever I want it to. The only thing stopping me is that I can expect to lose money on the deal when I sell to the next guy unlike a quality aluminum boat. I guess no easy choices.

Default Alaska outdoors anonymous

No it's not easy but hey, thanks for the words... Makes me feel a little better.. I'm not alone here...

Maybe I will start my posts from now on like this...

Hi, my name is Aaron, I've been addicted to the Alaska outdoors for longer than I can afford....

Cool Not a bad idea...

Hi, my name is Mark and I am a boataholic...good luck and if you buy something, post it here.

I can relate. I was looking at getting a used zodiac from a co-worker, then thinking I'd take the engine and trailer and build a skiff, and found out about the Tolman skiff. First it would be an 18 foot skiff for the 40 horse engine, then I got to thinking 20 feet would be better, and I really needed 50 horse for that, so I didn't get the zodiac setup from the co-worker.

Then I found out about the Tolman widebody, it seemed like a better all around design. Hey even on a nice day the kids need some protection from the weather, so a cuddy cabin was added. Then I got to thinking, the boating season is short, I might as well have a pilot house. I got to ordering parts and building, realized I had enough wood to stretch it to 22 1/2 feet. So now I have a full pilothouse, and running the weight numbers, I'm best off with a 115 horse, and am debating a 140.

It really depends on your situation. If you're going out with the wife and kids, comfort is important, as that will define how often you use the boat. I know one or two misserable trips in an open skiff would pretty much be the extent of my boating trips. A heated pilothouse will allow me to run pretty much year round. For the effort and expense of a boat, I want something I can use as much as possible, even if it cost me twice as much and has taken longer to build.

One thing to think about is it seems when you jump from 22 to 24 feet, the prices nearly double, engine or engines are much larger, and hence fuel consumption as well. There is something to be said for the smallest boat you can get away with being used more than the bigger boat, especially with current fuel prices.

WinMag, I PM'ed U.

Default still looking for a boat?

How about a 2006 Searunner 220 hartop, w/140hp Johnson (2005 w/less 30 hours), 8hp Johnson kicker, Lowrance LMS332c w/gold chart, 4 shrimp pots w/1,400 ft of line, acelinehauler brutus pot puller, 4 life jackets, VHF radio, dingy, 4 rod holders and 4 rocket launcher holders, anchor/line, and whatever else I forgot to mention.

Steve

Default How much?

Would love it. how many kids do I have to sell?

all kidding aside I'd be interested to know what your asking...

Thanks

Default Just one

It only cost me one! We just had our first baby and things are a little more expensive than we thought so boat is the first on the list of things to go. Asking $39,250

Steve

And they only get more expensive as they get older!

Congrats on the arrival, kids expenses are the reasons I haven't had one until now, and why it's taken alot longer to build mine than I would have liked. That said, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Default trades?

True enough.... Kids are truly the greatest investment of all...

I have three and the oldest is just starting school. I've had my eye out for a boat just like yours but have to admit that I'm likely going to have to settle for something in the 20' / canvas top range.

I won't sacrafice safety/reliability but may have to give up a few of the creature comforts.

Default saw what you might be looking for

Before I bought this one I was seriously looking at a 1997 Alumaweld Formula Vee. It looks brand spanking new. See if I can remember the details, it is 21', black with black 3/4 canvas and drop curtain, mercury 150 w/mercury 15, total hours on motor was 130-200? can't remember for certain, anchor, gps, vhf, dual axle trailer, tires looked good, the guy lives over off strawberry/northwood, his name is Fred and phone # is 248-1147. He was asking $20,000 and seemed pretty firm on the price. We had tried several times to get together for a test ride but schedules never seemed to work out so I can't say anything about how well it ran. Other than test driving it I was on the verge of buying it until I found my hewewscraft. Email me if you have any other questions about what I thought about the boat or call him. Good luck.

Exclamation 26' Hewes Alaskan (still) available

My sale fell through so I still have a 26' Alaskan Hewes with enclosed head, galley and twin Yamaha 115 outboards. 2005 model with 100 hrs on the motors in brand spankin new shape with warranties. I have a zodiac type tender (never used), windlass and everything you need to go fishing. I am selling for $63K and new one list is $79,000. I know you can get for cheaper on their sale but based on my calc it still is about $8000 less than the bottom line deal at Deweys for a substantially new boat. PM me if interested.

Mark

Default deal finalized

To all who pitched in - thanks... I closed a deal on a 2005 20' Sea Runner. Things just turned out to be too good to pass up... It'll get me out there and who knows a few years down the road it might be time to "plunge even deeper"... But until then I've got me ride...

Talking Congrats

Welcome to the B.O.A.T. owners club! (Break Out Another Thousand)

Oh, you don't know what it means? Don't worry, as soon as you need some work done on it, you will understand! Seems every 'fix' costs about that much.

-- Gambler