Thread: Caribou near Wiseman?

Default Caribou near Wiseman?

Does anyone have any comments about hunting the Dalton Hwy. near Wiseman? Should I go further North?. I've got a wild idea to rent a vehicle in Fairbanks and drive up around the end of August or first of September. I would assume that I have to hunt (with firearms) 5 miles off the highway.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BBR500

The caribou do not normally cross to the south side of the Brooks untill mid winter. Last August the bou were barely at the North side of the Brooks. I would plan on going all the way to Happy valley.

Default For What It Is Worth !

bigbore- rarely hear of friends seeing bou along that area. 1-2 x in 12+YEARS. most likely area along Kanuti river ( south of coldfoot) small separate herd supposedly in that area but occasionally along river in trees north of Wiseman. i have never seen caribou south of pass...1-3 trips/year.
    plenty of threads about doing haul road here. very tough non archery hunt. 5 miles there is not like hiking 5 miles in other areas. then how do you decide where to walk in 5 miles i have driven 100 miles and not see a caribou. i would look in to flying in somewhere or take up bowhunting.
    check with car rental folks ahead of time as most do not allow their vehicles on haul road or any other dirt road in Alaska.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I shot a caribou 10 miles south of Coldfoot 3 or 4 years ago. It's a fairly rare thing and it was on the 1st of November.

I would save up the money and have Coyote Air fly you in.

I would drive an hour or so past Atigun Pass. To get 5 miles off the road at Wiseman would require serious mountian climbing skills and someone would have to be crazy to go even a mile through those trees. Like the others, I've never seen a Caribou south of the pass.

Default Caribou are unpredictable

I did see a couple bou up around Finger Mountain (Dalton HWY) a couple years back, just small ones...you never know with Bou, I heard a quite a while back the herd crossed over onto Chena hot springs road and some were spotted behind Eielson along the pipeline.

Default 40 mile herd

if it "the herd" crossed near eielson, it was the 40 mile herd, not the western arctic that folks hunt up the dalton

Thousands of them winter as far south as Wiseman, just not in the Wiseman area. Further west, North Fork of the Koyukuk, John River and further west. There used to be a lot around the Wiseman area in winter before the haulroad.

Caribou can be seen regularly during the winter months from the Dietrich River Bridge to Chandalar Shelf, some 30 to 40ish miles north of Wiseman but that country is NOT suitable for a 5 mile walk in. Especially during winter. (Unless you're walking east from the Chandalar DOT camp.

Bring the CC skis, rig up some tow poles for a plastic sled and head west from Toolik Lake. It cuts your walk to 4 miles or so. Caribou overwinter in that area. You won't see many...a few hundred in scattered small bands and most of the bulls will have dropped their antlers by mid-November but it's a straight forward meat hunt if you're prepared for the cold and can do the work. Depending on the day, the temps typically range from 0 to -40 and the winds are incessant. The "average" winter day north of Atigun is -20 ambient with 20 MPH winds.

Patience, a steady non-sweat breaking pace and good gear should yield success.

Bring a strong 4 season tent and a bag...just in case