Thread: Emergency Orders?

Default Emergency Orders?

How long does it normally take to post them online? I saw on another site that Montana Creek is closed to ALL fishing except for this Saturday and Sunday...pending a passing survey at mi-dweek...so I called the Palmer Fish & Feathers office and their recording confirmed it. This closure doesn't match what's in the regs and an EO isn't posted on the website...so what is it classified as?

The parks highway streams are closed during the week to allow the bulk of the fish to make it up stream. The weekends are usually open, but this year, the run has been poor and they may close fishing on those creeks for the rest of the season. I'm waiting to see what they decide.
    We were supposed to head down tomorrow....

Default But what about other species?

I see that it has scheduled closures for Kings and that from the mouth to the ADF&G marker is closed to all fishing during those times...but this closure, at least the way it's worded implies that the ENTIRE creek is closed to ALL fishing for ALL species (my target is rainbows).

No emergency orders have been written for Montana Creek, so the closure is the regular weekday closure that applies from its mouth upstream to the markers 1/2 mile above the Parks Hwy. Upsteam of the markers continues to be closed to fishing for salmon, but you can catch & release trout and grayling year-round.

Default Sticking with the regs...

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    No emergency orders have been written for Montana Creek, so the closure is the regular weekday closure that applies from its mouth upstream to the markers 1/2 mile above the Parks Hwy. Upsteam of the markers continues to be closed to fishing for salmon, but you can catch & release trout and grayling year-round.
    That's what I thought too, but I saw this on Alaska Outdoor journal:

Willow, Little Willow, Kashwitna, and Montana creeks and the rest of the Susitna River Unit 2 streams are now closed to all fishing during the weekdays. They are open to fishing for one more weekend, July 5 - July 7, from 12:01 a.m. Saturday through 11:59 p.m. Monday. This weekend's fishery could be restricted by emergency order if a survey conducted by the department midweek results in very low numbers of king salmon. .

I called the Palmer F&G recording and they did not have the "ALL" in their recording. It just seemed a little misleading and raised the question. Thanks all and good luck this weekend!

Tubes

Default Page 26 of the 2008 reg says

The following waters of Unit 2 are closed to all fishing (emphasis added)
    June 1720, June 2427, July 14, and July 813, 2008:
    See the following pages for their open seasons.
    _ Caswell Creek, Goose Creek, Little Willow Creek, Sheep Creek, and Willow Creek
    drainages from their mouths upstream to the Parks Highway.
    _ Kashwitna River from its mouth upstream to the Alaska Railroad Bridge.
    _ Montana Creek drainage from its mouth upstream to an ADF&G marker mile above the Parks Highway.
    _ Birch Creek, Greys Creek, Rabideux Creek, Sunshine Creek, and Trapper Creek
    drainages within a -mile radius of the Susitna River.
    _ The Susitna River, and other fl owing waters not listed above, within a -mile radius of the Susitna River.

Default incomplete

Looks like what you saw on AOJ was an incomplete report; that is the regular closure for the streams in question downstream of the Parks. According to F&G palmer, as of 4:00 Thursday, There will be no EO closure of the Parks Hwy streams. It's highly highly unlikely that staff will work on a State holiday to issue that EO, so I think that report is going to stand.

There will be no closures on the park highway streams this weekend. I called my friend in the Palmer ADF&G office for confirmation. They did their survey and saw enough of fish.

Someone posted a comprehensive eastside Susitna trib report on AOJ that there are about 1000 fish stacked below the mouth of Montana Creek in the low water of the Big Su.

Could be a bloodbath at the confluence this weekend.

To be clear, no EO will be issued.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD