Thread: Spring Black Bear in Unit 16 (Griz problem!)

Default Spring Black Bear in Unit 16 (Griz problem!)

I've returned from our balck bear hunt a couple weeks ago and man was it interesting. Our group of five took 2 black bears on several baits. We ended up seeing maybe 6 blackies in all, but counted around 40-50 Browns. Sat on one stand ALL night, from 5 pm till about 6 am. That night from midnight till 6 I counted 9 or 10 different browns that came in and had no more than 15 minutes with NO bears. They were snorting, jawing, chasing each other off and getting a little close at times. Right under the stand several times. Another guy saw over 20 the next night, he had a meadow view. We both had up to 4 browns in at a time. After a couple nights of nothing but browns, we tried hunting the late afternoons to early evening, but saw nothing but a couple griz. Too many browns chased them off. Saw some nice colored Griz, white, tok, light brown and chocolate. The experience was well worth it, although it would have been nice to see just 1 black. Last morning, I got to the river for fishing and the guys told me a black came down a couple hundred yards away 5 minutes before we got there. As a matter of fact, he said we probably bumped it down to the river on the ATV on our way in. ****!

Bottom line, someone needs to get this area under control. If it becomes a baited Griz area, someone please inform me.

Mark

What area of the state were you in? Kenai Peninsula? Mat-Su? Interior?

16A near Shulin Lake, It was a freakin circus.

I believe there is high numbers of brown bears all over the state now. I baited unit 14A and had a bunch of brown bears in my bait for a second year in a row with not one black bear showing up this year. F&G claims less than 300 brownies in all of unit 14. Yeah, right....

Default Browns and blacks in 16

I know the blackies probably still out number the browns in unit 16, but I wonder if the predator control program should be expanded to include brownies too? If there are really that many, I would think they could easily put a dent in moose populations. Wonder if Fish and Game has looked into this possibility?

Angry

It irritates me. F&G says they want to lower brown bear populations but they don't do anything to increase the odds. They simply increase the bag limit for residents. Where I've hunted, 16B, I believe you can take 2 brown bears. Gee, I'd be happy to get a crack at one!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I saw one cow moose....NO calf with though.

JUST CURIOUS, KNOWING YOU CAN'T SHOOT THEM OVER BAIT, WHY DID YOU NOT SHOOT ANY OF THE BROWN BEARS?
    SEEMS LIKE THERE WERE SOME OPPORTUNITIES OUT OF THE GENERAL AREA OF THE BAIT.
    JUST SEEMED LIKE A GREAT CHANCE TO SEE ONE WITH AS MANY IN THE AREA. SET UP GROUND BLIND AND USE PREDATOR CALL OR MOOSE CALF IN DISTRESS EVEN JUST OLD COW CALLING AND I BET THERE WOULD BE MORE ACTION THAN YOU WANT? JUST A THOUGHT.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

My bait station is setup in 16b and i've had a lot of browns on the bait but probably more blacks then browns. Same brown made a habit of showing up at around 12:30 every morning as was caught on the trail cam. Was tagging the second black I got this year at fin n feather and I asked them about the brownies and the baiting thats been talked about the last couple years. He said that next spring brown baiting may happen in 16b. Not gonna hold my breath on that one though. Like I said......it's been being rumored it was gonna happen the last couple years and notta yet.

Default 16B Bears

Just got back from a quick flight in and around 16B and seen a bunch of Blackies but no Brown Bears. All the bears looked like they are rubbing heavily now.

AK NIMROD,

If I was a local and it was in season, I definately would have done what I could to get a brown and I'm sure I would have. It was mid June though. You guys go killem in the fall. There's definately some nice ones there. Keep me posted if anyone checks out the area or takes one. I'd love to hear about it.

Duck

Quote Originally Posted by hunt4duck View Post
    AK NIMROD,

If I was a local and it was in season, I definately would have done what I could to get a brown and I'm sure I would have. It was mid June though. You guys go killem in the fall. There's definately some nice ones there. Keep me posted if anyone checks out the area or takes one. I'd love to hear about it.

Duck
    Peter's Creek, near where you hunted in absolutely loaded with Brown Bears in the fall. Especially with the late Salmon Runs we have been experiencing. Another easy good location is near Talkeetna either up Clear Creek or by ATV up near Larson Creek.