Thread: Brown Bear in the state

Default Brown Bear in the state

What county would you say has the most?
    THANKS

County? What's that?

Why Do Some On This Site ...be So Mean To Others?

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    County? What's that?
    My Mother and i'm sure yours said... if you have not a nice think to say than say ...well.

Mark

1) Kodiak Island
    2) Admiralty Island
    3) Alaska Peninsula
    4) Gulf Coast (Copper River mouth to Yakutat)
    5) Bristol Bay
    6) Southcentral (GMUs 13, 14, 16)
    7) Interior (especially south of the Yukon River)

By and large, it appears that after 50 years of "one every 4 years" and guide requirements for non-residents, we appear to be awash in brown bears statewide, and it doesn't look like the situation is going to change anytime soon.

I don't think what he said was being mean, but anyhoo, AK doesn't have counties. It has burroughs, which are pretty large in size compared to counties. Bears are everywhere here. Where the salmon are, they are more dense. Go to the fising forum and you can read about all the bear encounters on the Russian River.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    I don't think what he said was being mean, but anyhoo, AK doesn't have counties. It has burroughs, which are pretty large in size compared to counties. Bears are everywhere here. Where the salmon are, they are more dense. Go to the fising forum and you can read about all the bear encounters on the Russian River.
    Did not know burroughs...my fault.

Russian river ...i have no clue?

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    County? What's that?
    I'M SORRY .I just ask for help from within.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    1) Kodiak Island
    2) Admiralty Island
    3) Alaska Peninsula
    5) Bristol Bay

By and large, it appears that after 50 years of "one every 4 years" and guide requirements for non-residents, we appear to be awash in brown bears statewide, and it doesn't look like the situation is going to change anytime soon.
    Thanks for great info and YOUR time.

Mark

You're welcome!

You all forgot to mention County Cork. I also hear there are tons and tons of hooligans in County Cork. Especially during soccer season.

Wink Buncha' wiseacres

Cabin,

Don't take the ribbing personally. Lots of wise ears around here. (Present company included.)

As Lost_by_Choice put it, we don't have counties. The biggest local government areas are called Boroughs (note spelling.) Some of the biggest population areas unified their cities and boroughs, (Anchorage, Juneau, Sitka) and others probably should, but that's for another forum.

To complicate things further, a lot of the land mass of the state isn't in any borough at all. The constitution refers to this as "unorganized". The unorganized borough is a patchwork covering vast swaths of the interior, and only a little of the coastline.

The best way to carve up the state may very well be to use the ADF&G game management units. All of that said, I'll suggest one change to the list below, which is really quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    1) Kodiak Island
    2) Admiralty, Baranof, Chichagof Islands
    3) Alaska Peninsula
    5) Bristol Bay

If you read ADN you would think Anchorage is the brown bear capital of Alaska.

The Russian River is a major salmon fishing area south of Anchorage somewhere around 120 miles or so. LOTS of salmon and of course bears.