Thread: Mooching with GULP??

Question Mooching with GULP??

Just wondering if anyone has tried using GULP on a mooching rig for silvers or halibut. If you have had success what size and type would you recommend. I am going to be camping out and I'm not sure I will be able to keep frozen herring and I would like to determine if using Gulp would be an option?? Any advice or shared experiences with GULP would be great.
    Thanks,
    Greg

I have heard that the Gulp! Plug Cut stuff is pretty good for halibut. Some people say it works for salmon.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I've used the Gulp herring, 6", last year at Kodiak. Worked well on the halibut.

Where do you find this Gulp? I've looked at a few stores and can only find the small stuff -minnows/worms/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Where do you find this Gulp? I've looked at a few stores and can only find the small stuff -minnows/worms/etc.

If you can't find it locally you can order direct through Berkley.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/cat.php?k=44157

Default Gulp!

This is my new secret weapon out on the ocean. It works well for all bottom fish and puts out a good scent trail. tough and stays on the hook. The cut bait strips work well and I like the Pogy fish. Even the squid flavored works well for rockfish and ling and grey cod. I haven't caught a salmon with it yet. But I will soon enough! I get it at B&J's in anchorage, walmart, or the fish house in seward.

Default Gulp

Last year we used the 4" Big Gulp Pogy in herring color and just "murdered" Silvers in salt water with them. Used them with a single hook leader about 5 feet below a banana sinker. Dropped them to the bottom in areas of active fish or baitfish and slowly and steadily cranked them up from the bottom. Hit after hit. One pogy usually can catch a couple fish before needing replaced. Be sure to store your Gulp in the sealable package. They dry up and disolve, otherwise. You'll be surprised how well they work. I now have about six packages in the box, waiting for a good time to use them (when the wind is finally calmed down).

There were 6 of us fishing the lower Knight area on our Memorial Day trip this year. Our rigs were pretty much the same across the board... except that I secretly sweetened mine with a small strip of Gulp. I hauled in two halibut, a nice yelloweye and a dusky rockfish. The only other fish hooked on the boat that day was one yelloweye and two duskys total. I'm sold on the stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    There were 6 of us fishing the lower Knight area on our Memorial Day trip this year. Our rigs were pretty much the same across the board... except that I secretly sweetened mine with a small strip of Gulp. I hauled in two halibut, a nice yelloweye and a dusky rockfish. The only other fish hooked on the boat that day was one yelloweye and two duskys total. I'm sold on the stuff.

Rod
    Lets hope your wife doesn't see this or her lawyer might have her rename it HER'S

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, I think I will give them a try.