Thread: Fillet Station Near Kenai/Kasilof?

Default Fillet Station Near Kenai/Kasilof?

Filet Station Near Kenai/Kasilof

Anyone have any advice/recommendations for fillet tables near Kenai/Kasilof. Where do you fillet your catch?

A few years ago as a newbie, I made the mistake of taking my fish home to fillet and v-seal. Won't ever do that again.

I've taken it to a processor to vacuum seal and fillet and I didnt get my fish back. Won't ever do that again.

My recommendation is bring a saw horse or ironing board and clean and gut right on the beach. One year I did the ironing board thing but have found sawhorses and scrap wood work the best.

Now, I fillet before I get home and v-seal at home. The past few years I have found a few stations along the Kenai, (public access/boat launch areas) but its a lot of work to haul a full 152 qt cooler down to the rivers edge (100 yards) and I always wonder the legality of it.

Some F&G warden 30 miles up river that sees me and a buddy filleting 100 fish gets suspicious. (Isn't it illegal to take from Kasilof and discard carcasses in Kenai? Ie. Those illegal transporting of fish commercials)

I have always thought if Im headed back to Anchorage, a 30 mile down to the Seward harbor for a nice cleaning station with clean water isnít that long of a side trip.

Any other ideas? Feel free to share or ask questions.

See you out there,

Anchorage, AK

When I am dipnetting at the Kasilof I stay at the Stedi Campground. It is located a few miles north along K-beach road.

This place was once a cannery and they have a nice stainless steel table with sinks and water for cleaning your catch. We gut the fish on the beach on a sawhorse and then fillet and v-pack at the campground.

I believe that they do offer fish cleaning only for a small fee to use the facility. May want to call and see what they offer. The owners are also dipnetters and really friendly folks.

As long as you cut tails before leaving fishing area, you are legal to transport PU salmon.

I use the saw horse/plywood method at home. I also put a drywall screw through the plywood to slam the fish head on to keep it from sliding all pver. Don't catch your hand on it - it hurts! Don't ask.
    ETA: Be sure to mark your card too.