Thread: looking for recomendation for caribou hunting

Default looking for recomendation for caribou hunting

Hi Guys, I'm trying to decide where to go hunt caribou this Sept. ,I have a wheel plane and can fly about anywhere based from Anchorage. Any recomendations?

Default aniak

If you have a wheel plane and can get around from Anchorage I would try just south of Aniak in the drainages there.... I know there has been a lot of talk about the Mulchatna herd and it's current status.... but if you have the option for some air time to spot some animals and put down in front of them you could be more effcient (observing the 1 day fly/hunt rule of course..)

ANother option would be out of happy valley on the slope. Unfortunately that is a HELL of a long flight from anc....

just a thought.

Greg

could somebody tell me where happy valley is. I've never been north of Glenallen. Thanks Tom

Happy Valley is way up the Dalton Highway (Haul Road); between Coldfoot and Deadhorse.

Default Thank you

Thanks for the infro. ,Do you know if there are good landing spots and are they gravel bars? Thanks Tom

If your up to speed on off airport landings with your plane, costwise your better off as Greg suggests. Aniak area. Might be possibilities east with the 40 mile herd. Otherwise your looking at a flight to the brooks range. Long way to go alright. I know of guys who have hunted in unit 25 on the south side of the brooks and been successful. There is also some sort of bou herd in the Ray Mts. Know a couple guys who hunted there from a cub.
    Be safe!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default thank you

Thanks Martintrapper, I think I'll do some aero-scouting in Aug. and then decide where to head. Are the gravel bars up near you good for landings generally or losta big rocks? Do you know Charlie Longly from nome ? I work with him. Thaks again everybody, Tom

Know who Charlie is. His mom lives down the street. This place has landable areas, gravel bars, ridges.
    Decent bou hunting spot at a hot springs in the middle of the peninsula. Nice place to stay. Ask Charlie about it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!