Thread: New lesson for me

Default New lesson for me

Two weeks ago a guy walked up to my camp asking for help because his boat sank. Well it was a new sight to me and I wanted to share with any out there (like me) that had never thought of this one. I am a new boater (and I am on my second boat in less than two years), so I am not talking from on high. Anyway what happened is that he beached the boat on too high of a bank and his wake went over the stern and sank. It was a cut bank in about 10-12 feet of water with no shelf, so it went down. Only the bow was out of the water. This was not a little boat either. This might be a big dah to many here, but an important one if, like me, you never thought of your wake swamping you. Good (safe) Boating!

Interesting, how was he able to get it out?

Another question, what river?

Wow. Where did this take place?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Im interested in this. Without more information i would say he forgot to put the plug in ran to his camp and the boat sank tied up to the bank bow sticking up out of the water. He just thinks it was a wave (yeah right) or he was trying to save his manly ego!!!

or he pissed someone off on the river and they helped the plug out?Better to ALWAYS be a gentleman when traveling about.

Default Probably true

If he came in too hard (fast) his wake would catch up to him and wash over the stern. I have never had it happen but it has been close once.

Same thing when going to shore. Slow down, let the water calm down and then ease into the beach. Otherwise, almost the same thing. The wash catches up and pushes the boat farther up on the beach.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

It was on the Tolavana. I only saw the results, not the actual sinking, so I can't swear the plug was in or out, but all three involved told me the same story about how they bank it a little too hard and with the bank as I discribed; sunk boat. I could not get the boat out. I think that a larger boat could get it, if they could turn the bow out into the channel and tow it to shallower water. I did see them fishing all day, so if the plug was out, I can't imagine how it would have happened. Also with the results that happened, I would say that the boat sank fast. They lost a lot of gear. It matched the story. I also saw the marks on the bank where the boat traveled before sinking. The bank rise was about 6 feet in 3 -4 feet; sharp angle. I didn't want to take pictures as these guys were not in a state of mind that I wanted to make them feel worse. I just got them back to there ride and to secure their gear.

Hey mods, maybe a boat safety/lessons learned forum might be a good idea and we could all share some hard lessons.

Along the same lines I have had to flip the boat around and tie off with the transom pulled against the bank to prevent waves from the wind blowing upstream on the Yukon.

What kind of boat?

Quote Originally Posted by J-FRAME View Post
    or he pissed someone off on the river and they helped the plug out?Better to ALWAYS be a gentleman when traveling about.

Wow, J-Frame, I've never heard of anyone pulling plugs. You sound like you've seen some nasty people in your travels.

I can't say forsure, but the bow looked like a wooly. The back was under 10 feet off water, so I couldn't read the make, and I am no boat expert. Nice boat prior to the water damage though.

I can attest to this possibility. I had to dodge something in the river one day in my Jetcraft (same day I learned my jet boat turned on a dime to the port side but NOT the other way!) I spun the wheel right and went into a sweeping turn right up on the beach, straight on to the beach I might add and there was a 2 foot bank that I nosed up on. Once I hit it the bow slid up and my wake swamped the back, luckily for me the boat slid back down and level enough following water wasn't able to make it in the boat. Bildge kicked on and all was well. I was only in 3 feet of water. DOH!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default That sucks II

that makes two boats this summer!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

A couple years ago while i was moose hunting on the little su down by the power lines there was a group that was camped in the same area. they tied there boat to the bank at high tide. they got there camp made up and went to bed. meanwhile the tide went out and the boat dangled near verticle until the tide came back in and you can easily guess what happened to there boat. i gave one of the group a ride back up to the landing as that was about all i could do for them. this story kinda relates as water came over the transom but not for the same reason. thought id share since thsi story reminded me of the incident. lower little su is not a freindly mooring area.