Thread: Fishing guide for PWS?

Default Fishing guide for PWS?

I have the "cruising guide for PWS" but it really doesn't mention much, if anything, about fishing. It would be nice to have a book dedicated to fishing out of the sound. Anyone know of such a book? I'm new to this boating thing and need help with all the where/when/what/how's.

big red alaska map book ? by delorme has some spots noted
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

There is no such book, at least I haven't heard of one.

You just need to take a chart of the sound and look at structure. The underwater pinacles and plateus that get a decent tide washing the smaller critters to the bigger ones are where to look. There has also been alot of discussion of fishing out of Whittier in the fishing forum.

In general you have to run pretty far out to get into consistant fish. Fish can be found closer in, but plan to run out to Naked or Knight before dropping lines, and if you have an appropriate boat and water consider the run out to Montague.

PS, don't be afraid to fish deep, i.e 300, 450 even 600 feet.

Default PWS

If you have a boat you might want to consider taking out someone who has experience in PWS. I learned a lot taking out folks who had either lived and worked in PWS or had spent a lot of time fishing and hunting. While a book can give you a lot of helpful information there is nothing like someone standing next to you talking about ten years ago when they fished in this cove or off that point. In the end there is nothing like just getting out there and exploring the Sound. This forum is a good start as to areas to target as is the ADF&G and other fishing reports. We all learned somewhere along the line and most of us have spent more than a few days scratching our heads and wondering where the fish went to. My favorite saying comes from a guy I knew in Dutch Harbor who used to say when we were out trolling for Kings- "Great big ocean and two little hooks, what are the odds?" Good luck and stay safe.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    There is no such book, at least I haven't heard of one.
    That's a bummer. I really like that cruising guide, and it'd be real nice to have a one stop shop of fishing info. I'm a big fan of forums when you are searching for one little piece of info, but when you need volumes of info like I do it's not the most efficient way to go about it.

I'm not just looking for info on where to fish, but also how to fish, what lures/bait/gear I need to fish, what fishing/shrimping gear I should have on my new boat, etc. I could probably spend a year trying to filter all the necessary info from this forum and others, but I don't have that kind of time.

This may be a good business venture for one of you guys that really knows what you are doing out there. Write a book so guys like me can sit down with a cold brew and absorb all that good knowledge.

I happened onto an extra copy of Chris Batins Halibut fishing book, you are welcome to have it. There really isn't anything specific to PWS that doesn't apply to Seward, Homer et al regarding equipment and technique.

I've tried most every type of jig out there as well as various baits, sometimes it seems you can't keep a fish off the hook, other times it seems they won't hit anything.

People generally don't anchor up to fish the sound, as it is simply too deep in many areas, and the tides aren't terrible strong so drifting the pinnacles and plateus will work well.

I'd say generally look for radical changes in terrain, where you see the water depth go from say 150-200' down to 600'. Start fishing at the high point and keep letting out line as you drift off. If you're not getting bites within say 1/2 hour, move off to another location. You sould be getting into rock fish and hopefully halibut and ling cod. You don't need a monstrous fishing rod either, a medium to medium heavy salmon rod with 20-30# test is worlds easier to jig than a meat stick. If you get into halibut then you can switch to the heavier gear. But, you can still land halibut on lighter gear.

Subscribe to Fish Alaska Magazine. They also have a comprehensive guide to fishing the major fish species here.

Paul,
    Thanks for the book offer, but I'd hate to take it from ya in case you need to reference it someday. I'll take a look in the bookstores and online for it. If I can't find it anywhere maybe i'll borrow it for a few days.

Leahy, For the fish alaska magazine, is the comprehensive guide you speak of a separate publication and does it come with a subsciption?

Well, i did find some books (right on this site funny enough). here's what I found and if any of you have some reviews of these books i'd love to hear them. It'd be nice to get a good book with good info and not a lot of fluff...

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=57

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=90

Paul, I think I found the one you are talking about but I can't find it in stock anywhere:
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Catch-Trop.../dp/0916771156

Is that it, or are you talking about a different book?