Thread: Smells like feet...

Default Smells like feet...

I thought I would throw this up since there are new socks out seems like every day. What is the new big thing in footwear for you guys? I have been trying Ultimax socks (forget the manufacturer) and they leave my feet clammy and disgusting. I am looking for a great set of wicking socks that don't smell like a 3 week old salmon carcass by day two on the trail.
    After reading reviews on the gear tester site I am going to try to find the INGenious Hiker socks and give them a shot. Any Ideas on others I should try?

Default TRY

Fox River Brand -

I have always had foot problems and since i have worn their socks my problems have decreased twofold. They make oodles of non-cottoney socks. My favorite is the WICK DRY CARRERA in cooler temps and then the WICK DRY QUATTRO in the heat.

Hope this helps

LOL..........good thread Lujon, it seems that you and I aren't the only one's who suffer from "3 week old salmon carcass feet" afterall. I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread!

There's a new technology out there called "wool" that's really cool stuff. Kidding, sorry.

I don't know if this cures salmon feet but...

The newzealanders have been breeding sheep the produce smaller and smaller diameter wool. Almost 20 years ago I worked for a wool coat factory and we bought NewZealand Merino wool exclusively as it was pretty soft. The new merino wool is way softer and is used in biking shirts and other sports because it stinks way less than synthetics.

Icrebreaker is using this stuff in nearly everything.

Their socks might stink less than others.

http://www.prolitegear.com/icebreake...crew_sock.html

Default But can the fish dry?

I worry much less about the smell of the sock as there generally is tons of mountain juniper that you can use to exorcise the fish demons.
    1) priority- Do they breathe to prevent hot spots.
    2) Do they dry fast- Arcylic/Wool blends work the best with homemade patterned socks being really, really good.
    3) Use a thin wicking layer of sock and the homemade one over.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Lujon,

My favorite socks are Darn Tough Vermont http://www.darntough.com/ They make awesome socks and don't smell bad very easily.

Jason

The issue isn't with the sock smelling bad, it's the feet that stink. We're looking for something that can prevent this from happening.

Default Gore tex socks...

from Cabelas, $20. I'm not sure they still carry them.
    So far: Fair, not great. A little bulky.
    I tried them on a spring float - waders all day long - some sweating loading/unloading rafts, chilly but not cold weather.
    Results: Fair to good. Drier feet, but not dry feet. Definitely mixed reviews but probably an improvement for Fall fishing; day long hiking/standing in cold water/hiking/standing/hiking... The moisture from hiking gets my feet damp and on the coldest days, has limited time in the water.

Thumbs up Two words

Smart Wool

Okay, a few more than two.

I used to have trouble with my feet gettin' all red and sore and stinky and cold and hot.

I made enquiries on this forum and came up with Smartwool.

Now I wear nuthin' but. Everyday. When hunting either one pair Light Hikers and one pair SW liner or two pairs Light Hikers.

Served me well on my hunt in AK last year (was it really that long ago)

As I said I wear them everyday regardless of what I am doing and I have not had ANY foot problems since I started wearing them. (and no abuse from the Minister for Finance about smelly feet)

I have a whole herd of SW in my drawer and intend on gettin more. I buy them Stateside though, they cost nearly twice as much here.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default bama sockets

I'm shocked that no one mentioned bama sockets. They work great over a sock in any boots that allow for the extra space. I use them in winter for extra warmth and in summer inside the extra tuffs to control moisture.

Default 2 suggestions

Any decent liner with x-static (antibacterial) type thread inside a sock similar to smartwool or lorpen... the other thing to try... spray aresol (scent free) antiperspirant on your feet prior to leaving, coat your socks, inside your boots and/or take a can along for base camp...

The above two suggestions fixed my problems for good...

I've found that mil-surp wool socks work just fine. I also take extra pairs along to swap them out and hang the used ones to air and sun out.

A dunk in a creek when convenient dosen't hurt either.
    Now what ?

I've heard good things about Smartwool, which is a brand name I think. I have a preference for thin socks and tend to use liners instead of normal weight socks. I always carry two or three pair on any trip; that way I can wear one pair while letting another pair air out on the outside of my pack if the weather's dry. It seems to help with the smell.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I think I may have found a winner in the WigWam INgenious hikers! I wore them 2 days in a row the first hiking for 4 hours and the second all day just kicking around and after day 2 they still did not smell like a 40 hooligan wedged under the floorboard of your boat a week after you returned from 20 mile...

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    The issue isn't with the sock smelling bad, it's the feet that stink. We're looking for something that can prevent this from happening.
    Maybe a bar of soap ......

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I wear Thorlo's, it's a synthetic/wool blend and has done well for me for many years.