Thread: Baranof Island

Default Baranof Island

I was just wondering if it would be possible/probable to do a combination bear/goat/deer hunt (or 2 of those 3) on Baranof Island. I don't know too much about the SE, but I'm interested in setting up a hunt down there next year.

Does anyone know if the goat registration hunt typically closes out early, before bear season opens? How feasible is it to attempt a DIY hunt there, keeping in mind I'm not familiar with the local conditions, etc.?

I don't recall any emergency closures of Mt Goat lately. So yes, you could hunt all 3 at the same time. In fact, I've seen bears while up Mt Goat hunting.

You should be able to do all these without too much problem. Time will be your problem. With good planning you should plan at least 4 days for a fly in goat hunt during which you could find some pretty nice deer. A bear is a different story you will find them in goat country but it can be pretty hit and miss. Bear is better down around the streams and you need a boat to access the better areas. Figure at least 10 days for this hunt total. You could get them all in 4 days or not see a single thing the whole time. Weather is a big factor in this area; you can easily have 10 days of absolute crap this time of year.

I have not heard of a goat closure in the 12 years I have been here and so far the points have not even gotten close until December.

Default thanks for the info

I will start to look into this a little more seriously now. It won't happen this year, but maybe in the next few years. Thanks.

wow, that would be impresive unless you are a marathoner or into the challenge thing. You would have to wait till the fifteenth of September for bear to open . I have seen bear up chasing goats that time of year but you have to remember you have to pack a hide off the high peaks that's a big job. Packing goat meat and a hide is really more than most people can handle by them self's. I would say sixty per cent of the time we fly into a high lake after September fifteenth you will be stuck for a extra day or more.deer won't be a problem but you still may have to go a distance to get one. Best bet would be to get a goat and then concentrate on the salmon streams . You must be a Alaska resident or else wouln't be able to hunt goat or bear.The goat harvest for Baranof was put on a point system three years ago because guided hunts went up from about twenty to forty one in a year . The F&G has since resticted guided hunts to twenty six so numbers haven't bbeen close to the limit until December. That could change though if we get good weather and lots of goat hunters that shoot nannies because they count as two goats.
    Baranof guide