Thread: Who said Rugers wont Shoot????

Default Who said Rugers wont Shoot????

I picked up this S/S Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06 last week NIB for $449. And in less than 6 shots on a new barrel this is the accuracy I got with Fed HE 180 grain Nosler Partitions. I shot them at 100 yards, 220 for a zero and I confirmed 3 shots at 300 yards to determine how much drop there would be ( exactly 7" @ 300 yards). I love how folks overlook Rugers thinking that they arent accurate. And these shots were fired before I have even had the 7lb Ruger trigger worked on. A new McMillan Ruger Classic in custom colors is on order for it and will complete this handy new tool of mine!

3 shots @ 100 yards

Maybe folks that haven't shot one, or can't shoot?

This was from my 350 rem mag. I put 10 rounds of factory fodder through it, with miserable results, then took those 10 fired cases and put together three different handloads. This was the first handload.

This was the third handload

Gotta love it when you dial in your loads in a single range session I still need to work on the trigger.

I also have a Ruger ultralight .308, it shoots just as well.

I've shot several friends rugers, and most will put 3 round into a 1 1/2" group with factory fodder. I know folks have had problems with some rifles awhile back, but I'd say in the past couple decades the M77 has been a consistantly good shooter.

Smile practice

Hi Paul: Pretty nice...with a little more practice, you might eventually get there. Heh. Same goes for the Cub.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I've got a Ruger that shoots the same type of groups you guys are shooting. I had to find the right load though. In my .300 win mag. if I shoot an elevated load its all over the place. I thought my scope was broken. If I shoot the cheapest federal factory ammo it shoots a 3/4 to 1 inch group. If I shoot hopped up hand loads or factory premuim a 3 to 4 inch group is more in order.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I've got a Ruger that shoots the same type of groups you guys are shooting. I had to find the right load though. In my .300 win mag. if I shoot an elevated load its all over the place. I thought my scope was broken. If I shoot the cheapest federal factory ammo it shoots a 3/4 to 1 inch group. If I shoot hopped up hand loads or factory premuim a 3 to 4 inch group is more in order.

My Ruger 300 win is the same way. (Bought new in 2003) It loves Remington Core lockts and will shoot under an inch all day with 5 shot groups. Hot reloads or factory premium stuff turns it into a Barn door killer. It is so ridiculous that I stopped trying to load for it and am happy to just shoot the Remington stuff.

I wish I had taken a picture of the group my new 06 shot with the blue Federal el cheapo 180 grain soft points, they were all touching. This was a group I got out of the regular Federal 180 grain Partitions, its about 1.25- 1.5", which would not be the end of the world for me but since I had already shot the HE 180's which grouped unbelievably the deicision was easy.

Federal (non-HE) 180 Partitions

Default Not bad

Hey cub you think that is good you should see the groups I am getting out of my newish kimber. I paid a little more than you did but man what a sweet gun.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    Hey cub you think that is good you should see the groups I am getting out of my newish kimber. I paid a little more than you did but man what a sweet gun.
    Do they look like this??

If so I am not suprised!....grin

I love my Rugers. Each time I've set out to buy a new gun I've gone out with a Tikka, Remington, or Kimber on my mind, but each time I end up buying a Ruger. Last summer I got two Rugers (338 and 7mmMag) for $370 at Fred Meyers when they were closing out the old style m77. I just couldn't pass up those guns, and just like my old Ruger 30-06, those guns shoot accurately, are tough, and just an overall pleasure to shoot. It wasn't part of the plan, but I've become a Ruger man.

Brian I have always liked the Rugers and have owned many of them over the years. I think they bring a blend of durability, CRF, and reliability thats hard to beat. I think that the fact that they had some barrel issues in the 80's really tarnished them as good shooters but they have definately come a long ways. They lack the pisazz of many other guns but I always remark that if I was down to one gun , stuck here in the woods of Alaska, it would be a stainless bolt action Ruger. Something about them that to me resembles that one tool that you can always rely on to work under all conditions.

Very nice indeed, good shooting
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I bought my son and daughter a Ruger M77 .270 and a .243 respectively. The first 5 rounds out of my son's brand new .270 went into a group under an inch, with the first three of the shots in one ragged hole. Since we were also sighting in the rifle I thought his second and third shots were misses. We walked up to the target and saw a nice tiny cloverleaf. He went back and added two more shots. I was stunned to say the least because it was shot prone off of a sandbag by a 11 yr old that had only shot 5 rounds of 30-06 in his life and the rest of the time .22's. He did this with Federal Fusion factory loads in 150 grain. His sister's .243 was almost as good even though it had a horrible trigger.

Default Nice work!

Congrats on Rugers that shoot well....my own experience with 'em is spotty. Seems like it depended a lot on who was supplying their barrels back when I was interested in them, like in the mid-70's and early 80's. Had one heavy, 26" barreled .220 Swift that shot so bad that I've had skeet choked 12 ga's shoot tighter groups on a pattern board at 40 yards!!! Out of the bunch, the one that seemed to shoot the best was a dog-leg early 'flat bolt' 6mm Remington that in my friends' hands (sold it in a moment of weakness) will equal the groups posted.
    Rugers have come a long ways, that's fer sure!

Default ruger barrels

dunno about the 70's, but the 80's up to '92-93, they were supplied by Green Mountain. Because of the reputation of inaccuracy, they started making there barrels inhouse with there advertised "hammer forged". That was around '93, so guns from that time forward should shoot pretty good.

My .338 was built in '03. I swapped the wood for synthetic, havent glassed it yet. Cant bring myself to it because of the group it already has. I've added a Timney trigger, barrel has been hand lapped and polished, and TSX loads built.
    This is my 200 yrd group with about 10 minutes between shots for barrel cooling... yeah, Rugers can shoot okay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default bad first impression

Unfortunately, my first experience with Ruger rifles was a bad one. So it will most likely be my last ever Ruger. I'm just stubborn like that. I bought a Hawkeye Alaskan in February. It was the LEAST reliable rifle I have ever bought, including a No. 1 Mk III* Enfield built in 1916 (and worn out shortly thereafter). It did not feed reliably, it scraped flakes off bullets when chambering, and it severely scratched brass when cycling. To top it off, the "new, improved" trigger still had a significant amount of creep in it--about as much as my $180 Marlin .22. So I sent the rifle back to Ruger to repair. After 2 months I finally got it back, and the only thing they fixed was the scraping flakes off the bullet. So I sent it back again, and I'm still waiting. So I bought it in Feb and still haven't even got to shoot it yet. All of the problems above were noted during function testing, not actual firing. I didn't expect it to be as high quality as a custom gun, but for $900 I expect it to at least work right and spit out brass that is reloadable. What a waste of time and money.