Thread: Homegrown Float Plan Form.....

Default Homegrown Float Plan Form.....

I put this together in Excel and maybe some of you will find it helpful. I'm not much of an Excel guru so it's pretty plain but functional. Use it if you like it. Thanks.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's nice and thanks for sharing.

Default Email to Harbormaster???

Would the Seward or Whittier Harbormaster accept something like this by Email???
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default I don't know about that .....

but I always just fill it out ahead of time and drop it at the office when I get there.

Default Why

Why would you trust someone you don't know with your float plan? I could see if you had no friends or family, but I would rather have 1 or 2 people that I know would start missing me with that info. Maybe I'm just lucky and have a couple of good people to file my float plan with, just my thoughts. And thanks nice float plan.

Default Give the plan to both.....

family / friends and the harbor folks. That's what I've always done. You have to remember to let the harbor master folks know that you've returned though. Otherwise, the whole system will fall apart and you make some people pretty mad.

Just found this site while searching ...
    http://www.usfloatplan.com

Looks like it's free and includes the ability to close the plan via phone. Anyone use it?

I have never filed a float plan for the simple reason that I never know where I am headed. I usually have a particular bay in mind, but usually end up all over the map, and far away from my original intentions.

I am sure it would help for the returning time frame, but I don't want them focusing on an area that I am not in, or left 3 days ago for somewhere else.

How do you handle this? I know a float plan is good, but I don't want to make things worse by being somewhere else.

What is the best thing to do here??

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    How do you handle this? I know a float plan is good, but I don't want to make things worse by being somewhere else.

What is the best thing to do here??

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    I use the Spot messenger. There was another thread on that vs. a EPIRB. It works great for me to send "ok" messages to let others know exactly where you are. As others have said, I don't think it takes the place of a EPIRB--but is a great way to "check in" with your location when out of cell coverage.

Cruiser, that is a great idea. I have read a little about them, but don't know too much. Have you used yours on the water? Does it work far from shore. I am thinking it will work about anywhere if it ties into the satellites, but haven't heard much about people using them far into the ocean.

Thanks for the help!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

As long as I've had it outside with clear view of the sky it has worked 100% on the boat. If I keep it inside the boat I'd say it's about 50/50 whether it gets the message out or not. Here's the website for more info:
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/
    I got mine from costco with free subscription, but i dont think they sell them anymore.

Ditto on the SPOT. It worked all but three very cloudy days on three week Haul road hunt last fall. It worked last weekend from Kings Bay. It needs a clear shot to the sky. Just set it out on the fantail. It let my daughters know we were OK and where we were. They had to wait till mom got home to find out about her bear though.

The SPOT system sounds like a great idea for the price and yes satellites work regardless of how close you are to shore. In some situations being further away from shore might allow you to get better reception with one since the mountains in PWS can block the signal in some locations as some of you have more than likely noticed with your GPS systems.

Default Personalized float plan.

I put together my own version a couple seasons ago using the readily available forms from both seward and whittier. Using the personal format a whole lot more information can be provided which is helpful if it's ever needed. I have a good picture of the truck and boat that I print on the reverse side. Harbormasters have commented on the effort and quality and it's easier for me to 'pre fill " the thing out rather than at the ramp.
    Good idea!
    Mike