Thread: PLB Beacon registration

Default PLB Beacon registration

I just registered my PLB (ACS) - I am just curious, I have no health issues - anything I could include with the message that might help? I could not think of much but figured you guys might think of something?

Maybe mention I have 2 toddlers so they give it 100% effort ???

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I just registered my PLB (ACS) - I am just curious, I have no health issues - anything I could include with the message that might help? I could not think of much but figured you guys might think of something?

Maybe mention I have 2 toddlers so they give it 100% effort ???
    You might think about including your blood type and whether or not you are allergic to anything, etc..

Blood type is a great idea!

Also, what if I want to lend it to someone? Can I? Should I have them register? With all the money it cost me I would like to be able to let someone borrow it.

Default idea

I have one that I take on NW float trips. Great to have, hope never to need it. As for info on the registration, update it each trip and include number of people in the group, the trip plans (start and stop points) and the weight of all people. If the chopper comes, it would be good to have that info. In the absence of any health issues, that is about all the info I would put on it. You have to update the info every two years, but you can update it any time you want, so updating the info for each trip is no problem.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Just FYI, advertising your blood type under such circumstances really doesn't matter. It's extremely rare to be rescued by a service with blood capabilities to start with, so most likely you'll get saline or ringers (water based) solutions to deal with blood loss in the field. When you get to the hospital, they will need to draw some blood and do a type and cross test before they'll be allowed to give you a blood component anyway. Doctor's will not give blood based on what the patient says his blood type is. Too much liability if you're wrong.

As for info to get to the rescue service, any significant medical issues, such as disabilities, diabetes, siezure disorders, heart and/or lung conditions, allergies, critical medications taken, and such can be helpful. Also, make sure you have contact information for at least two different relatives or close friends that could provide current info on where you went, what you drove, what gear you have with you, how many people are with you, etc. In other words, the people who you will give your wilderness/float/fly plan to before you leave on your journey.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Great info there JOAT! If you are including allergies I would make it a point to include shellfish allergies since they use some iodine based contrast injections for trauma CAT Scan studies. It would sure suk to have to deal with an alergic reaction along with your injuries! I wouldn't add anything about it if you are not allergic as they will just go ahead with the study and take the gamble in a trauma situation.

Default ACR-microfix

I update my registration on line before every trip. The upload takes a day or so but I always include information such as:

How many are in my party, general area and/or activity, date of planned departure and return, a specific description of vessel or camp and what emergency gear we have available - (such as immersion suits, vhf radio, flares, etc)
    Last edited by WinMag; 07-21-2008 at 20:22. Reason: edit info

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Blood type is a great idea!

Also, what if I want to lend it to someone? Can I? Should I have them register? With all the money it cost me I would like to be able to let someone borrow it.
    When I bought mine at Eagle I was told that you can lend it to someone but they don't have to register it under their name. Once you buy it and register it under your name, it is yours. All you have to do is go online and post that you have loaned it to "John Doe". Then when you get it back, post that it is back in your possesion. I really like the ability to post the info for them but have found that you are pretty limited to the amount of info. They have a limit on the # of characters in your post I suppose. Don't even start listing names - you will be out of space before you know it. I tried to post as much relevant info in a 3 day fishing trip for 3 guys (with no medical problems) all around PWS and was out of space before I was half way thru. Kept going back and abbreviating everything and still never got all the info posted I wanted.