Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to all

Unhappy Question to all

I have bought numerous handguns and long guns from this sight with no troubles until recently. I purchased a semi auto and was told it was in great shape. After getting it home, I went to clean it and parts fell out of it. I took it to the gunsmith and they repaired the whole trigger assembly to the tune of $250. I PM'd the person I bought it from and asked them if they had ever had problems with said pistol, they assured me it was in fine shape.
    So here is the dilema, do I post this persons "handle" so others can be aware, or just let it go? I know it's "buyer beware", however, I'm a trusting soul like most everyone else on here, and I like to know that what's advertised is what I'm getting.
    Calvin

We need a revolution to get this country back from the crooks. Abolish the IRS, Income Taxes, Federal Reserve, and "All" government handouts.

Now that it is out in public, members could PM you for that info.

PM being sent.

kingfisherktn

Numerous forums I use that offer sale threads have a dedicated thread to rate transactions with other members, maybe that would be helpful here considering the popularity of the board. I would have no objections to seeing a rating up about me.

As for your situation,
    Did you call him when you discovered the damage?
    Did he offer to make a refund at that time?
    Was he the original owner or did he buy it maybe in that condition possibly and did not know?

My experience is that people know exactly what they have and a lot of times and thats why they are selling it. I wonder if he disassembled it and he subsequently damaged it in the process. Would not surprise me, seen it before.
    During my 50 odd years of life I have discovered that even my Baptist minister stretches the truth when it comes to selling used items.

If your going to post something negative about someone you might as well forget it, as it is not allowed on this site. PM's are the only way you can share that kind of info.

Default handgun repair

I'm curious what could have been the situation to cause a $250 repair bill on a semi-auto handgun. Please post some details. Thanks.
    Jerry/AK

Thumbs up what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by HvyJet View Post
    Numerous forums I use that offer sale threads have a dedicated thread to rate transactions with other members, maybe that would be helpful here considering the popularity of the board. I would have no objections to seeing a rating up about me.

As for your situation,
    Did you call him when you discovered the damage?
    Did he offer to make a refund at that time?
    Was he the original owner or did he buy it maybe in that condition possibly and did not know?

My experience is that people know exactly what they have and a lot of times and thats why they are selling it. I wonder if he disassembled it and he subsequently damaged it in the process. Would not surprise me, seen it before.
    During my 50 odd years of life I have discovered that even my Baptist minister stretches the truth when it comes to selling used items.
    I'm for a good guy/bad guy thread.

I'll second the idea of having a rating system, similar to ebay or something.

This is one reason I would like to see the post count reflect activity in all forums low post counts are bad for buisness. I also always check the persons profile and check their "recent posts". If I don't like the way they act on the forum then I won't do buisness with them.

Just to play advocate here... It can take quite a bit of work to add something like a rating system to a web site like this. The forums used here are provided by another company, not necessarily the website maintainer, so may not be an easy addition, and overall I'd rather have what is in place than nothing at all. This is the only good local trading forum for firearms I've seen. I think the idea of checking post history is probably good, but it would definitely be nice if there was a site that supported firearm sales/trades on the level of eBay or craigslist.

Please do not post the member's name, as we do not permit negative comments about individuals due to liability concerns. If you'd like to talk about this further, send a PM to me and to David (webmaster), the owner of this site.

If the post counter was accurate it would be a good idea. For some reason for the longest time mine only read 5. I have been a member for a while and I know I posted more than 5 posts just in one month....

As far as the pistols being messed up, here is what I do to prevent something like that: When I get with someone to look at something to buy I check it out and know what I'm looking at. If for some reason its something not in my expertise that I feel comfortable with, I bring someone with me who knows more about the item I want than I do. If its a weapon I field strip it and inspect, if its a vehicle/RV/ATV/Snow machine I inspect them inside and out then I take them for a real drive like I would use it if I owned it checking out all the functions.

If for some reason the seller has a problem with me doing any of that (disassembly, test riding, whatever) I respectfully back off, thank them for there time and move on. If I find an issue I bring it to the attention of the seller, watch his or her reaction (you can tell most of the time if someone is trying to cover something up and you just blew their cover) and go from there.

Bottom line is "buyer beware" If you question something and your questions don't get resolved just back away. If you don't know what your looking at bring someone that does. If you cant do that but really still are interested in the item learn all you can about it first then maybe take a second look. The internet has more information that you could digest about just about anything your interested in and if your having difficulties just come to a forum like this, go to the section that is about what you are looking at (ATV's, Shooting, Outdoor gear or whatever) and ask, someone will answer you and you will be that much more of an informed buyer.

Sorry for the rant/long post, I know this sounds pretty straight forward but if it help even just one person its worth it. Good luck with your future dealings!

How is it that this forum is soo subject to liability and legal issues but the 10,000 other hunting forums out there arent???? I say a good guy/bad guy sticky in the classifieds is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    How is it that this forum is soo subject to liability and legal issues but the 10,000 other hunting forums out there arent?
    Fair point, but it's not only a liability issue - it's also one of civility and fairness. There is no way that we can know who is telling the truth about such deals, whether it's a swap and sell deal or a hunt report. Heck, even eBay recently got rid of the ability of sellers to report on buyers, as what was happening was a back and forth that would escalate after the first negative report. We'll do what we can to help folks resolve issues, but there is only so much we can realistically do other than encourage people to be fair with one another. Opening the door to negative reports on other members would only lead to accusations of false reports and a general loss of civility here. We're not willing to go down that road at this time.

We may not be able to post negative stuff on here but if we all start posting to peoples profiles when we have a positive interaction/transaction then at least when others are researching they can see the positive comments and perhaps contact some of the previous buyers/sellers as refrences. It won't cure it but at least it is some information!

In that case Brian, I think that there is a pretty clearly defined problem. Given that this forum is charging money for the service of posting items for sale, do you or David the webmaster have a suggestion as to how we might resolve this problem?

Default Good guy / bad guy

I am sympathetic with the problem. This is a great medium for wide dissemination of information, but also an opportunity for bad actors....or just people who fail to disclose important information.

As Brian pointed out there is an issue of fairness and civility here. It is entirely too easy to defame others in this medium. We do our best to maintain civil discourse and back-and-forth over transactions could get to be a moderation nightmare.

guaigean is right; the software that we use for these forums "is what it is". It's not really designed to manage "swap and sell". Adding a rating system would be quite an expensive job.

LuJon had a good idea and that is to post positive remarks on the profile of those who sell items. That's what I encourage at this point.

David

boy that is one dirty sob to sell that!
    Semper Fi!

Default That says it all

Greythorn3s response says it all. We don't really know all the details on either side, but he is condeming the seller. As to this forum "making money" on the swap and sell, it charges less then any other site with a buy/sell option at 5% or a max of $50.00. They don't charge for anything under $100.00 and this is all to keep things going and improve, not as plain profit.
    If you purchase a firearm without getting something in writing, then you don't have a leg to stand on. If the seller is willing, you should thoroughly inspect the weapon including take down. I am sorry you had a problem, but from what you said, there was more you could have done pre-sale. Did you already pay the $250.00?

Thumbs up Negative posts

Gents, and any ladies present,
    Here is the deal, I'm not going to post the sellers name. PM me for more information. I have bought close to 20 different weapons from this sight from complete strangers, and have never, ever, had anyone missrepresent what they had, good, bad, or ugly. I guess I just assumed that all the folks here were upfront and honest because of past dealings. I still believe that. I was not able to inspect the weapon before or at the purchase because, I had someone else pick it up for me. However, I asked all the usual questions through emails and by phone. So, my bad, and yes there are two sides to every story and I would like to hear the other side as well. I PM'd the fella and told him I would let his conscience be his guide, but, that if he just blew me off, that I was going to make the negative post.
    Thats "my" side of the story and I'm gonna let it go at that. I buy a lot of stuff from this site and think some kind of rating system would be a great idea. If everyone agrees to making a positive post about a transaction, I'm down with that.
    One last thought, I very much like this sight and can see where it is impossible to please everyone, so instead of making a mountain out of a mole hill, I'll just be more wary and ask more questions.
    Thanks for all the response's.

Calvin
    Calvin

We need a revolution to get this country back from the crooks. Abolish the IRS, Income Taxes, Federal Reserve, and "All" government handouts.

Default Sorry to hear....

that you had a bad experience. I don't usually post a lot on this forum. I just do a lot of reading and listening. I appreciate everyone on here and each and every posts. I think that we can all learn from each other. I definitely will take great care in any purchases that I make via this site. I guess I'm in a "softy" mood today, must be the weather, lol!!! Take care my brothers and sisters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast