Thread: Knik River Rescue

Default Knik River Rescue

Please read the article (Knik river Rescue) , posted today on the Anchorage Daily News online. Read the comment section,Not very flattering towards ATV riders or our Alaska lifestyle. Leave a comment there if so inclined. Thank you. I left one as Bowinkle on that particular item.

I left mine a few hours ago. I used "farwhitenorth". That first guy, well, I guess I'd like to know a little more about him. Then again, maybe not!! Is this how the readers of ADN are or feel? I know alot of their stories have a bit of a slant to them so I guess that's how a portion of their readers are also. Whatever.....
    EricL

EricL

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    ....Is this how the readers of ADN are or feel?.....
    Many of them, yes.

I remember a story in the 80's about a man and his two sons on snowmobiles somewhere in the Alaska Range in the spring who came upon a grizzly den. The boys approached the den on foot when the bear emerged and attacked. The father shot the bear just as it was about to catch one of his sons. The man was properly licensed and had a brown bear tag. All was legal.

The number of letters to the editor which stated that the writer hoped the bear had caught the young man was appalling. (Remember, this was well before the "internet". People were taking the time and effort to write their thoughts on paper, address an envelope, put a stamp on it, and mail it).

It was one of my awakening moments in social psychology. There really are a lot more people filled with hatred for others with regard to environmentalism than you can possibly imagine........

People forget that the Alaska State Troopers are tasked with search and rescue by state law. It's their job, plain and simple....largely funded by all the taxes and royalites paid by the oil companies.

Default We found this guy!

I was lead guide for Alaska All Terrain Tours & Rentals with senior guide Kevin Kidder as my tail guide for the day with 9 clients as we set out that morning. Being a Monday there was little traffic except another tour company behind us with a couple clients of their own.

After crossing Friday creek and heading into the woods, we were making our way along the trail when I came across two riders (without helmets) working their way out, I told the first guy that there was 10 more behind me and he said 'ok' and I kept moving on. I reached the fingers of Wolf Point and was helping our guests through a mud hole when the last guy came up to me to tell me that Kevin was back on the trail with an injured rider.

I got everyone out to the opening at Wolf Point and then went back to find my tail guide. Kevin being trained in Wilderness First Aid and myself as a Wilderness First Responder, he could tell that there was something wrong with the guy as he went past him. He looked white in the face and Kevin asked if was ok and the guy responded 'ahhhh, no!' and looked like he was about to fall off his ATV. Kevin thought he was having an heart attack. By the time I got there, Kevin had done an initial assessment and cleared his spine, had him on the ground covered in a blanket and a fire going. The SAT phone was out and he was waiting a call back from EMS. The guy was stable but loosing ground as we suspected several broken ribs, possible punctured lung, torn rotator cuff and cracked sternum.

EMS said a ground crew would be on their way shortly. Kevin felt that things were under control, so I went back to my group and headed up to the Glacier for lunch. On the way back, we ran into Kevin near the fields close to Friday creek and the man was just lifted out of there with the trooper heli.

Story was that the guy tried to go up one of the steep side trails near wolf point and his machine cut out and came over on top of him. He was not wearing a helmet and is lucky to be alive. Their cellphone was dead and had not supplies with them at all. They decided to try to head out and look for help. His riding partner was in shock/daze and was worthless in this situation. I guess they are salesmen at Alaska Sales and Service in Wasilla.

Kevin called the hospital to check in on him today and I guess he has 8 broken ribs, a punctured lung, broken clavicle, broken sternum, and other injuries. I don't mean to toot our own horn, but he is lucky that we came along, IMO!

Go prepared and always wear a helmet at all times is the lesson today!

Chris
    Alaska All Terrain Tours and Rentals

PS.... I am kind of pissed that ADN didn't say anything about our help or involvement. Kevin spent his whold day with the guy and saved his life!
    Last edited by AkSnow; 07-03-2008 at 00:13. Reason: update

My tag is yousuck.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default DWS

Called that a widow maker trail in another thread. Hope this guy recovers ok.

I think I know that one. My wheeler was near straight up. I was leaning so far forward and about to reach muscle failure trying get turned around. I don't venture up that way anymore.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

According to AKsnows discription of where he met them it couldn't have been widowmaker he flipped on. The only way to and from widowmaker is along the bars of Friday Creek. He met them coming out on the trail in the woods past Friday Creek. There is only one side trail that climbs between the woods past Friday Creek and Wolf Point. That trail climbs and deadends up on the mountain real close to Wolf Point. It's a sheephunters trail that gets them further up the mountain to start the hunt. It's somewhat steep but not like widowmaker.
    As far as the guy saying the machine died and that's why it flipped backward Well that's just his excuse for flipping it. A loss of power on a steep climb doesn't cause the front end to come up. Any way he didn't know about, or forgot, Rule number 1 when climbing. Anybody know what rule #1 is?

I don't know what rule #1 is.. mine is get away from the machine when things go bad. Know when to jump.

What gets a whole bunch of guys is that they give up, start rolling backwards, then jam on the brakes...Over you go and it hurts. I commited that mistake 23 years ago on my first 4wd fourwheeler because I was used to dragging the front brake of my Big Red on failed hillclimbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Anybody know what rule #1 is?
    Let the other guy go up first.......

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Let the other guy go up first.......

I like that rule.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Rule #1

Know the difference between a hill and a cliff.
    I also like BigH's :-)
    OK DWS, I'll bite - what is rule #1?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Letting the other guy go first only works if you refuse to follow even if he's successful. I've seen the 2nd or 3rd guys up flip backwards. AKDoug has is right for the the most part- JUMP- but as I've found out sometimes it's not possible to exit to either side of the atv(a gun in a boot on either side exit can be a killer) when it comes back fast on you.
    Rule #1 comes into play after you've already jumped or been thrown backwards off the machine I've never seen a exit to the side that is quick enough, the momentum of the machine almost always forces you backward somewhat. Rule number #1 is to immediatly have a plan for which way you are going to scoot when your body hits the ground. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to plan as time sloooooows way down when you flip a machine. The machine is CERTAINLY going to hit the ground EXACTLY WHERE YOU'RE BODY IS IF YOU DON'T GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE Grab earth with your hands immediatly, push with your feet and scoot fast or start body rolling IMMEDIATLY. Knowing Rule#1 will save you sometimes as the machine almost always lands on the body, keep it in mind as you will have plenty of time to think about it on your way down to the dirt.
    People will say "I, don't climb so I'm not worried" but I've seen many backflips from people just climbing steep cutbanks on creeks. My buddy flipped it on a creek crossing on a trail, 4 foot cutbank. The machine pinned him under the water and almost drowned him. Rule#1, section 2, start swimming immediatly after landing

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Letting the other guy go first only works if you refuse to follow even if he's successful. I've seen the 2nd or 3rd guys up flip backwards. AKDoug has is right for the the most part- JUMP- but as I've found out sometimes it's not possible to exit to either side of the atv(a gun in a boot on either side exit can be a killer) when it comes back fast on you.
    Rule #1 comes into play after you've already jumped or been thrown backwards off the machine I've never seen a exit to the side that is quick enough, the momentum of the machine almost always forces you backward somewhat. Rule number #1 is to immediatly have a plan for which way you are going to scoot when your body hits the ground. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to plan as time sloooooows way down when you flip a machine. The machine is CERTAINLY going to hit the ground EXACTLY WHERE YOU'RE BODY IS IF YOU DON'T GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE Grab earth with your hands immediatly, push with your feet and scoot fast or start body rolling IMMEDIATLY. Knowing Rule#1 will save you sometimes as the machine almost always lands on the body, keep it in mind as you will have plenty of time to think about it on your way down to the dirt.
    People will say "I, don't climb so I'm not worried" but I've seen many backflips from people just climbing steep cutbanks on creeks. My buddy flipped it on a creek crossing on a trail, 4 foot cutbank. The machine pinned him under the water and almost drowned him. Rule#1, section 2, start swimming immediatly after landing
    That's exactly what I would have said next, but you beat me to it.
    Very good advice!!!

Hi all,

Do many of you walk next to the machine as you drive it up steep hills?

Pushing into the handlebars.

Heck no! Going up is the easy part. Now coming down, yes, I have walked it down. I have exceeded my limitations before and know right where that "line" is now!! OUCH!!
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by AkSnow View Post
    I was lead guide for Alaska All Terrain Tours & Rentals with senior guide Kevin Kidder as my tail guide for the day with 9 clients as we set out that morning. Being a Monday there was little traffic except another tour company behind us with a couple clients of their own.

After crossing Friday creek and heading into the woods, we were making our way along the trail when I came across two riders (without helmets) working their way out, I told the first guy that there was 10 more behind me and he said 'ok' and I kept moving on. I reached the fingers of Wolf Point and was helping our guests through a mud hole when the last guy came up to me to tell me that Kevin was back on the trail with an injured rider.

I got everyone out to the opening at Wolf Point and then went back to find my tail guide. Kevin being trained in Wilderness First Aid and myself as a Wilderness First Responder, he could tell that there was something wrong with the guy as he went past him. He looked white in the face and Kevin asked if was ok and the guy responded 'ahhhh, no!' and looked like he was about to fall off his ATV. Kevin thought he was having an heart attack. By the time I got there, Kevin had done an initial assessment and cleared his spine, had him on the ground covered in a blanket and a fire going. The SAT phone was out and he was waiting a call back from EMS. The guy was stable but loosing ground as we suspected several broken ribs, possible punctured lung, torn rotator cuff and cracked sternum.

EMS said a ground crew would be on their way shortly. Kevin felt that things were under control, so I went back to my group and headed up to the Glacier for lunch. On the way back, we ran into Kevin near the fields close to Friday creek and the man was just lifted out of there with the trooper heli.

Story was that the guy tried to go up one of the steep side trails near wolf point and his machine cut out and came over on top of him. He was not wearing a helmet and is lucky to be alive. Their cellphone was dead and had not supplies with them at all. They decided to try to head out and look for help. His riding partner was in shock/daze and was worthless in this situation. I guess they are salesmen at Alaska Sales and Service in Wasilla.

Kevin called the hospital to check in on him today and I guess he has 8 broken ribs, a punctured lung, broken clavicle, broken sternum, and other injuries. I don't mean to toot our own horn, but he is lucky that we came along, IMO!

Go prepared and always wear a helmet at all times is the lesson today!

Chris
    Alaska All Terrain Tours and Rentals

PS.... I am kind of pissed that ADN didn't say anything about our help or involvement. Kevin spent his whold day with the guy and saved his life!
    That's awesome...you guys should get some kind of recognition. If it matters at all....when I'm out on the trail I'm thankful there are riders like you guys bc most people wouldn't know what to do in those situations, and even if they did, they would be freaking out! That guys owes you both a steak dinner and beer until you say "no more"!!!!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Another ATVer was killed in willow. The machine flipped back on him. On inclines stand up with your knees bent and your upper body weight in front of the handlebars, if it starts to come back on you remember Rule#1.