Thread: Picture of Giant Ram on Tony Russ's Book

Default Picture of Giant Ram on Tony Russ's Book

Does any body know where the picture of the Giant Ram was actually taken, thats on the cover of Tony Russ's Book (2nd Edition) that was photographed by Tom Soucek???, I'm sure the Ram has died by now from natural causes, I heard , North East Brooks Range, just curious.

Default if its the

pic of the 2 large rams, it's my understanding that it was taken in the NW Territories.
    Gary

Nope, Its the picture on the cover of a single "Monster" ram.

Default Rams

I have a copy of the original photo, there are 2 very large rams standing and the monster laying down. I think it came from the "Hard Park".

Default Monster Ram w/ friends

Monster Ram w/ friends
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow what a hawg!!

Yep, thats the one, the one laying down, wonder if anyone has found his horns?

Default Greenough Ram

Its been called the Greenough Ram from the Greenough Range in NWTs.
    Many people believe that it was really a ram off of Andersen Glacier that and Centennial Ridge is where they grow them big now.

The Greenough range is relatively small and holds a very small population of sheep. It could be possible but it is not probable.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Talking George

I call him George.....he likes Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, and Cryptonite.

When my friend Chuck Norris comes over they like to play. Poor Chuck.....he's just not the same anymore, now he does infomercials.

What a hawg! Its just so much more than those other two beasts.

Default Rhoids

that is the ever famous "Rhoid Ram"...he has to appear in court to testify against Balco next week as he is suspected of SGH (sheep growth hormone)

What an absolute monarch! Dammit Batman!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default pretty sure

hard park. Even think I have an idea where, but only Tom knows for sure!

I know Tom and if memory serves me correctly that photo is at least 15-20 years old so I am sure that ram is dead.
    Tom moved to Skagway a few years ago. If you find him or his web site he might tell you since it was so long ago.
    Tennessee

Mark

My bet is that it's a park ram. Otherwise, it would have been on a wall.

Default Greenough Ram

I am pretty sure that it came from Greenough Mts. The population was protected until two years ago and I think only one local guide has a concession there.
    I think that aerial wolf hunting by helicopter in NWT is one of the reasons that they can charge close to 20,000 per dall.

Here is a hunter with a 44 inch NWT Dall. They get some real bruisers. Look at Simpsons Photo Gallery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regarding the picture of the ram taken by Tom Soucek (?sp) used by Tony Russ on the cover of his book: I remember when that 1st showed up about 10 to 15 years ago - what a controversy as to where it was shot! Tom refused to be pined down and wouldn't say exactly where it was located. At first many guessed the eastern Brooks...which Tom did not deny. It took several years for the smoke to clear. I have heard that he finally acknowledged that the picture was taken in NWT. It addition it has been rumored that the next day he went back with a rifle but was unable to locate the ram. Lastly I know a local taxidermist (who shall remain unnamed) that told me he has repaired a mount of that sheep - which was brought in by the owner's wife while he was out of state - the story is it got knocked off the wall during cleaning. From the prominence of the ram's hip bones I doubt he survived the winter that year.

What a huge ram! Wow.

Default Monster ram...

I too fall into awe as I look at that wonderful specimen. He's a real brute. It's hard to tell, but I counted 11 annuli. Anyone else care to take a field judge? And what of those bases, he's heavy. I think I'll print the picture and tape it to the objective lens of my scope just to "see" what it would look like to have a ram of that caliber grace my crosshairs
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...