Thread: Sharpening?

Default Sharpening?

I sharpened my snuffer ss with a broadhead sharpener then ran it across 1500 and 2000 automotive sand paper to get them razor sharp. Well i then shot them into my broadhead target and got them dull again and tried the same sharpening technique but they wont sharpen this time around. could it be the angle of the edge? what techniques can i use to get a sharp edge again?

I'm not sure what type of snuffer sharpener you are using but be careful with the snuffer tamer type that use two files bedded in wood to change the angle. The lower weight snuffers don't have enough meat for repeated sharpening on those sharpeners. I've seen guys sharpen the heads down enough that they fold when contacting any bone. I think they make those sharpeners to sell more broadheads.

Hold the arrow tight behind the broadhead. Lay a 6" broadhead file flat on the rear of two blade edges and stroke forward to the point one time pressing the file lightly on both edges. Turn the shaft 1/3 and repeat. 1/3 again and repeat till you've turned the shaft 360 degrees. If you are very dull at the start you should be razer sharp in 5 to 10 revolutions of the shaft. If you want them scary sharp repeat this series with a flat sharpening steel.

You can also get them extremely sharp by laying your two edges flat on a large wet stone. Drag the broadheads back and turn and drag and turn and drag about 20 to 30 strokes on a medium stone then repeat on a very fine stone. Carbide type sandpaper layed on a flat surface works great as a large stone.

The key to the process is one stroke per side and turn. It will keep your angles true.

Default Diamond

I used a 6" diamond hone to shape the edge and then a 6" oil stone with two different hardness es. I don't like a file to sharpen broadheads. It just leaves a burr on the edge that acts as the cutting edge. I'd rather have an edge that is consistent and smooth the total length.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

typically most people dont get snuffers or Wensels scary hair popping sharp. It's still sharp more associated with the serrated style edge Hill achieved by dragging a file backwards on the edge. Kind of a crude explanation.

Most people with the snuffers and wensels start with a file. You may have dinged up or rolled the edges enought hey need to be brought back before you can fine tune it with the fine automotive paper. I also use automotive paper on glass for plane blades and have ran some WW's on them with decent sucess though they are not as sharp as my eskimos.

You may get on tradgang and get into the tutorials there are some good sharpening techniques for useing ww or snuffers, videos that is.

I used a Smiths sharpener at first then the automotive paper, the edges are smooth but dull as can be, ill have to try some tactics stated and see how they work. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

typically most people don't....Hmm...Maybe my Snuffers aren't actually shaving hair. Maybe I've just trained my hair to fall off when my broadheads pass by. My bad. I'll let my buddies know. They have the same problem.

Default Carbide or diamond

Quote Originally Posted by verlaskan View Post
    I used a Smiths sharpener at first then the automotive paper, the edges are smooth but dull as can be, ill have to try some tactics stated and see how they work. Thanks.
    If you can hold it exactly the same every single time, it might work. Other wise you are just rounding the edge.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I took em to a wet stone today and they got better, we'll see.