Thread: Glacier Travel & Pack Weight

Question Glacier Travel & Pack Weight

Eyeballing a few sheep / goat hunts that put me into areas where glaciers are. Not a big time mountaineer, but know enough that glacier travel requires a lot of extra gear and the associated weight. (Ice axes, cramp ons, harnesses, ascenders, rope, pulleys, etc.) Without getting to into it I think I can rough estimate an extra 5lbs+ a person real quick.....

How many have hunted from glaciers? What gear did you use? What would you not go without? What did you wish you had?

Any info would be appreciated!

Default Glaciers

I hunted the Tsina Glacier, south of Tonsina Glacier under the 13D goat tag permit, i didn't take cramp-ons, but I did take a 90cm Black Diamond Pro Ice axe and did just fine as far as moving around. I would definetly Take an Ice axe !!!! depending on your boots, you can get away without cramp-ons, if time permits go to Worthington glacier and try different things to suit you, Thats a huge glacier and accessable, and you will see that with all the dirt, theres actually pretty good traction, the amount of incline matters, but everybody will have a different perspective, you'll just have to go and try things out.

What about rescue gear, harnesses, etc? Or was just an axe all you felt you needed?

Tsina Glacier is fairly small and packed not alot of crevaces, i did have a rope and Iridium phone, You should also hunt with a partner when it comes to glaciers.

It all depends on where you are hunting, and what glacier, some glaciers like Tazlina, Nelchina and Matanuska have giant crevaces, you'd better take a "Spot" with you or PLB. I did talk to a guy in Beaver Sports who was a Glacier Expert prior, You should talk to one yourself, go down to places like that or even REI, just don't mention "Hunting" They will tell you everything.

Default Take a side trip when you go dipnetting.

My advice is to take an extra day when you go down to Chitina Dipnetting and to go to McCarthy and spend a day on Root Glacier with a Climbing guide. It is not that expensive and they will get you up to speed with good basic instruction.

They may be a bit on the "greenie" side but they generally have two or three different companies with climbing guides that have very definitive glacier walking experience.

Sincerely,

Thomas