Hi! I'm new to the forum so bear with me...
I've been looking at hiking Flattop for years as my parents would never go with me. I live just down the street from the mountain and its accessibility makes it unbearably tempting.
However, I have no hiking experience, and want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. I have some questions that maybe other members could help me with:
- About how long is the trip up the mountain?
- Is the trail dangerous for beginners?
- What should I take with me? Would I need to buy any special equipment?
- I'm kind of sparse on friends ... would hiking alone be a foolhardy venture? Where could I find groups to join that are hiking Flattop?
- I know its bear country up there, would I do fine wearing bells and taking pepper spray? (I read the threads on bear protection)
- Is this trail physically demanding? I'm in fair shape as I do some swimming, but I generally spend too much time sitting at home.
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated!