Thread: Green Island Blacktail

Default Green Island Blacktail

Does anybody have any experience on deer hunting Green Island in the sound? I know the bigger 3 islands have pretty good numbers usually, but I haven't heard much on Green. From what I can see it has lower elevations which might be tougher for spotting them earlier on in the season. Any info would be great.

Haven't done it, but what I hear is that Green has one of the highest densities of deer in the Sound but is also one of the hardest islands to hunt due to the thick vegetation and lack of high altitude open spaces.

I called the biogist in charge of that area about 2 months ago because I was considering a hunt there. He said that there are deer there in "huntable" numbers, and that the best thing to do would be to get as far away from the public use cabin as possible.

I also PMd a few guys who had hunted there, and they said that they wouldn't likely go back beucase they found the hunting pretty tough. One guy I spoke to was there for about a week and end up getting a doe and didn't see many deer.

So, Brian is probably right, they are there, but they are tough to hunt becuase they are hard to find.

Last year 13 deer 4 hours never left the beach on the 10th of october lots got away when the shooting started.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Last year 13 deer 4 hours never left the beach on the 10th of october lots got away when the shooting started.
    WOW. All from Green?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nice. Do you have any more pics of Green, so I can get a feel for the terrain.

I've only gone to green the last three years never really had to get off the boat terrain is not real bad just going aways into the forrest there are game trails every where.